Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone backup > Error message

Syncing my iPhone with my iMac works o.k. but the backup which used to happen until yesterday before the syncing doesn't work anymore. I am getting an error message telling me it can't backup because there is an error. Doesn't tell me what.

Any ideas ?

Is there a possibility to reset the backup and start new ?

Help is appreciated.

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 12:03 PM

See if you can manually create a backup, but first delete any and all existing backups: iTunes>Preferences>Devices. On that same preference pane, disable auto-sync. Connect your phone, right-click in the left device pane & select "Backup". If it completes successfully, you should be good to go.
12 replies

Jan 25, 2011 12:36 AM in response to Michael Schulz

Most of the people are tech savvy these days and few of them are quite crazy for gadgets. For tech lovers iPhone is the latest gadget that comes out from the Apple factory. The iPhone is equipped with all the functionality that you can think of and won't find in other phones. The feature that I liked the most is the GPS (global positioning system).

mobiper.com

Mar 9, 2011 8:09 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Guys I think this is might be an issue with expired me.com or mac.com accounts. I am a developer and my iPhone4 has been working and syncing just fine. My me.com (mac.com) account expired in January and was turned off. Ever since my backups fail. I've come to this conclusion only after reading all of the forums and deleting all of my backups (which now I will have to start over with over 300 apps), ensuring directory permissions were correct.

Apple needs to investigate this as an end user can not determine this when all we get is a return code of 30 and a MobileDomain error of 104.

Dec 6, 2012 8:13 PM in response to Michael Schulz

I had the same error and just fixed it.

I'd moved the backup files to an external drive then deleted them from the library, but even without old backups, the process failed.

I tried many of the above suggestions, but eventually I tried unchecking the "Encrypt iPhone Backup" My previous backups were encrypted with a password, so when I unchecked the box, I was prompted for that password, which let me remove the encryption.

I then rechecked the box, entered in a "new" password, but I used the same one as before. The back up ran and showed progress in a pop-up window. A few minutes later, it was done.

I've since tested it through the normal process and everything is working again.

Hope this helps.

iPhone backup > Error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.