Skip navigation

Possible to sort by time (and only time)

1987 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2011 8:02 PM by Frank Caggiano RSS
Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (22,745 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 24, 2011 6:37 PM
I have a series of images taken over the course of many weeks. I would like to sort them by the time of day they were taken regardless of the actual date.

I know I can create a smart filter adding rule Date and then set that to *capture hour* or *in the range*. So I can get all shots taken between say 7 and 10 in one smart album and all shots taken between say 16:00 and 19:00 in another.

But even in the smart album all shots taken at a particular time (or a small range of times) aren't grouped together. What I'm looking for is how the lighting changes over time so I do want to see the images flow with time.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
iMac Intel 3.06 GHz 8GB Mem; Macbook5.1 2.4ghz 4GB Mem, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Aperture 3.1.1
  • Mr Endo Level 3 Level 3 (990 points)
    Jan 24, 2011 7:08 PM (in response to Frank Caggiano)
    Frank,

I can only come up with a [kludge|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kludge], as we say in software development.

1. Make new versions of all those pictures, and somehow (?) make your smart albums based on those.
    2. Adjust the date (but not time) of all pictures except those on 1 date (say the first date, but it can be arbitrary), so that all new versions have that same date. You should be able to easily select all photos on a given date and just "roll back" the date of those 1 or 2 or "whatever" days.

nathan

Message was edited by: Mr Endo
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Aperture 3.1.1
  • Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,550 points)
    Jan 25, 2011 8:55 AM (in response to Mr Endo)
    Good kludge; great question.

I don't think there is any way to isolate time (from date) in Aperture. You can group by time of day range, but you cannot sort by time of day.

Grouping is done by creating a container based on a filter (as you know -- illustration for those who don't).

Filter: Photos

Sorting by time is arguably a useful feature for a photography program. Even better would be a GPS aware metadatum of percentage difference from solar noon measured in (I think) apparent solar time. (You want to compare images based on the sun's position in the sky, not based on clock-time, no?)

This is certainly do-able today.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger
    MacBook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.5), 4 G / 500 G internal / 4 TB external / NEC 2490 / ColorMunki Photo / Sony a850

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.