Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture won't export images despite preset modification

I've just downloaded Aperture as an App to enable me to export my photos to a photo library. They have very specific criteria ... 300ppi/image size at least 1750 x1750/level 12 Jpeg or TIFF/1MB-100MB file size etc. I have entered this criteria in Aperture presets but they still fail ... any ideas what I'm doing wrong.
The error message on their site says that the file is only 753KB instead of 1024kb (1mb) even though the info on the image says it is over 1mb/ the size isn't the same as in the preset and that it is only 180ppi - though I realize that the preset asks for dpi which isn't the same as ppi.

Sorry, complete beginner and really need help.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 6:46 AM

6 replies

Jan 26, 2011 3:55 AM in response to Ir. Bob

Hi Bob

I tailored the preset to fotolibra's criteria so I put in:- JPEG - image quality 12 - fit within pixels - width 3000 height 2400 and various amounts in the dpi - I've tried 180/300/320 - all trying to get 300ppi (but the fotolibra error message always says the image reads 180ppi!)Everything else I've left but I must say I have changed these boxes many times trying to find the right combination. I've tried TIFF and different sizes - so far nothing has been right.

After tailoring the preset I then went to fotolibra and used their upload engine which asks me to select the image which I choose from Pictures as it doesn't give me the option to choose from Aperture. The metadata for the image I have been trying to upload to them says it is 4000x3000p (12mp) and 6.52mb which should fit in with fotolibra's requirements but by the time the image gets there the data had changed to 753kb and the dimensions have also changed and are too small on the shortest side.
So the image has somehow become compressed in transit - unless it ignored my customised preset altogether?
Hope this is understandable! Any help gratefully received, Bob
Thanks
Angie

Jan 26, 2011 5:10 AM in response to Jardange

Jardange wrote:

After tailoring the preset I then went to fotolibra and used their upload engine which asks me to select the image which I choose from Pictures as it doesn't give me the option to choose from Aperture.

This is confusing. So are you actually exporting the image from Aperture or are you somehow grabbing the Aperture preview? What do you mean 'choosing from pictures' is that where you exported the file to?

Remember just setting the export presets won't do anything if your not actually exporting the picture.

The difference between dpi and ppi is small so small that just about everyone uses them interchangeably. Much smaller than the difference you are seeing (300 to 180). If you actually exporting the image and you're still having these problems posting a screenshot of the export preset window may help to see where the problem is.

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

Jan 26, 2011 5:38 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Sorry I'm confusing you, Frank ... I am new to Aperture and the whole uploading to a photo library thing and am not a computer geek ... I have read App 3 manual but it doesn't seem to help. I think I need to break it all down into manageable bits.
The first thing I need to learn is how to amend (in Aperture) is a downloaded photo from the usual 72ppi of the camera default to 300ppi/dpi which the library requires. Although my digital camera is 12mp it doesn't give me the option of changing the ppi on the camera. I presume this is possible?
Then I need to amend the photo to the right size - shorter dimension larger than 1750pixels/file of 1mb or more. I can't find any menu for these operations in adjustments. If these are in presets then I need to know how to apply it to the photo I want to upload to a photo library. If you can talk me through these stages I can go onto the next. Thanks

Jan 26, 2011 6:03 AM in response to Jardange

First question, what type of camera are you using and what format are you saving in (RAW or JPEG)

Ok assuming you have a image large enough to meet their requirements do:
# In Aperture Select image to export.
# Go to File->Export->Version
# In the Export preset pulldown select Edit
# Hi-light *Original Size* and select the + at the bottom of the preset window. A copy of the preset is made you can name this something so next time you do this you can select this one.
# Fill out fields as below
User uploaded file
# click OK
# Select location for export (Desktop is fine)
# Click *Export Version*

The image file created this way should meet your requirements

Aperture won't export images despite preset modification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.