Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight not working under 10.6.6… reindexed several times.

Spotlight is not showing up results as expected, and when searching inside folders, doesn't throw any results and keeps on searching endlessly. I've reindexed several times and this started happening only after 10.6.6.

any suggestions…

Neerav

MacBook 7,1, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone 3G - iOS 4.2.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 2:15 PM

Delete the entire Spotlight directory and reindex, running these commands in the Terminal app:

*sudo rm -R /.Spotlight-V100*

*sudo mdutil -i on /*

*sudo mduitl -E /*
14 replies

Mar 3, 2011 4:42 AM in response to AceNeerav

I have the same problem. After the 10.6.6 update spotlight does not find anything anymore. I have tried the suggested solutions but nothing helps.

I have tried to exclude the HD from the search in the Preferences. I did not work.

I have tried the Terminal commandes:

sudo rm -R /.Spotlight-V100

but then i get in return:"No such file or directory"

sudo mdutil -i on /

returns:"Error: unable to perform operation. (-402)
Indexing and searching disabled because of ".metadata neverindex" file at root of volume."

anybody further ideas?

Mar 23, 2011 10:33 AM in response to AceNeerav

I had this issue. My Spotlight Icon was not showing up in the menu bar, however, searching within folders seemed to be working just fine. I did everything under the sun.

+Repaired Disk Permissions+
+Used Onyx & MainMenu+
+Terminal Commands+
+Replaced files+

Most of these older solutions did not work, however, because 10.6 handles Spotlight so differently.

*Here is what worked for me:*

I noticed that using Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app) to restart the SystemUIServer would refresh the menu bar, but not make Spotlight reappear in the menu.

I then opened up Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and saw that SystemUIServer gave the following error:

+Error loading /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Search: dlopen(/System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Search, 265): Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Calculate.framework/Versions/A/Calculate+
+Referenced from: /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Search+
+Reason: image not found+

From that I deduced that there must be a problem with the Calculate.framework, because it wasn't loaded and SystemUIServer was trying to access it. Needless to say, after checking out the Calculate.framework (/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Calculate.framework/) I found that it was completely empty. That didn't seem right.

I got onto another macbook running OS X 10.6.6 and copied the Calculate.framework. After replacing the empty one with the healthy one, I restarted SystemUIServer from Activity Monitor and WHALA, it works again.

Hope this was helpful.

Spotlight not working under 10.6.6… reindexed several times.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.