Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

same album name but from differnt artist, listet in one tracklist

Hi,
I have multiple albums with the same album name but from differnt artist.

Each album is listed in cover flow, but if i select one album for playing, i get a tracklist with all titels from all albums with the same name but from different artists.

For example i have 2 albums named "greatest hits" from ArtistA and ArtistB.

If i select one of the albums in coverflow i get a list like:
Track one from ArtistA
Trac two form ArtistA
Track one from ArtistB
Trac two form ArtistB

sometimes i eaven get:

Track one from ArtistA
Track one from ArtistB
Trac two form ArtistA
Trac two form ArtistB

What I want is, that if i select the album of one artist in coverflow, i will get a list only including the songs form the album of this artist.
I don't want to get a list of all songs, from different artist but with the same album name.

The problem does not occur only in coverflow, it occurs also in the album list.
All albums are listet, but if i select one album i get all songs from different artist with the same album name.

Ipod Classic Gen. 6.2, Windows XP

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 11:35 AM

Each album name needs to be unique. So (assuming that you use Sync to manage your iPod), my method is to rename the albums in iTunes and then Sync with the iPod. So *Greatest Hits* becomes *Greatest Hits <artist A>* and the next album becomes *Greateset Hits <artist B>.

Phil
8 replies

Jan 30, 2011 3:43 AM in response to thomas_mu

No, it's not a solution, but a workaround. A proper solution would require changes to both iTunes and iPod firmware which, I suspect, aren't coming. As I see it you have a number of options.

1. Live with it as it is.
2. Apply the workaround only when you notice the problem.
3. Systematically "fix" your library.

While 3. sounds like a difficult task it isn't really that hard. Put your library in *Album List* view with *Always Show Album Art* selected. Turn on the *Column Browser* with Album displayed. Select the first entry in the Album column. The main window will now list the tracks of this album. Press the down arrow key on your keyboard to see the next album title. Keep pressing this button until two pieces of art are displayed in the main window. This is an album title you need to apply the workaround to. Assuming it takes a second for iTunes to throw up the tracks and art for each album title as you go down the list that is 60 albums you can check in a minute. It only becomes time consuming when you need to edit something, but even that's not too hard once you get in the swing. Since the album list is ordered you don't have to do it all in one session - just remember your place and come back to the task next time you feel the urge.

tt2

Apr 12, 2011 11:05 AM in response to thomas_mu

Well how funny I myself spotted this recently unless they licensed it as I found 2 different artists with the same album art only title is different on album but not background.

file:///Users/adamblack/Desktop/Picture%208.png

file:///Users/adamblack/Desktop/Picture%2010.png

If you can't open these just copy paste onto link bar to open these as there the 2 same art covers.

Message was edited by: addspads

Apr 12, 2011 11:31 AM in response to addspads

I rather think this topic is done with despite not being marked as solved yet by the original poster.

You've posted two links to files on your computer which nobody else can see. If you want them to be seen they will need to be uploaded to a publicly visible website. Two very similar, but not identical, artworks on two different albums was never the issue in this thread and won't cause any problems in iTunes.

tt2

Apr 13, 2011 6:28 PM in response to addspads

Looks like you've found a generic jukebox image onto which the artist and the track details can be added. If this image is being used in the iTunes store then I guess a particular record label have used it create consistent artwork for a section of their back catalogue. Either way similar images attached to distinct albums in iTunes won't create problems in the way that identical album names do.

tt2

same album name but from differnt artist, listet in one tracklist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.