Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Being Able to Play Left 4 Dead 2 or Team Fortress 2

Hi. Just bought a new MBP a few days ago, getting it in hopefully tomorrow. I'm looking to be bottom lined here. I've never had a good gaming PC, and I want to know, quite simply, will I be able to play 2 of my favorite games (Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2) on the model I bought.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC374LL/A?mco=MTgwOTc3Mjg#overview

That's the refurbished unit that I purchased. I have looked all over for a definitive answer and don't feel like there is a good one, at least regarding the games I'm interested in playing. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6), Refurbished

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 2:24 PM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2011 5:21 AM in response to tstutzman13

Do they make a mac version for the games that's the big question... if the software company supports Snow Leopard 10.6 then yup, you should be able to play them. Otherwise if it PC based you will need to setup bootcamp with legit copy of windows, install on windows, and yes the specs should be able to run it. But seeing how it is integrated graphics upgrade the memory to 8GB of ram which will only cost you $100 from newegg.com. I also went ahead and upgraded to a 120GB solid state disk from g.skill for even more performance. My computer actually runs WoW pretty well with decent graphic settings but if you want a gaming machine you really should go with the 15 or 17" with the i5 or i7 processor and the dedicated 512mb 330m graphics card with 8gb ram.

Notebooks really arent meant to be gaming machines even with companies like alienware and asus making gaming notebooks. It's not practical... anything gaming creates a crap load of heat and you just cant put the same kind of hardware into a notebook as compared to a desktop.

Jan 26, 2011 5:28 AM in response to tstutzman13

Not trying to sound like a ** but you are buying the entry level computer that really isn't designed for gaming so as far as gaming is concerned don't expect it to compete with a desk top running 8gb of of ram over clocked to 2.2-2.4 volts, with an ATI 5850 2gb ddr video card, amd quad core or 6 core processor running a raid 0 setup with either 7200 rpm drives or SSD drives.

<Edited by Host>

Being Able to Play Left 4 Dead 2 or Team Fortress 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.