Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network users cannot log in to Wiki

I am managing an OS X Server 10.6 at work. As far as I can tell only local users on the server (i.e, those created through the server's Accounts preference pane) can log in to the Wiki (e.g., to "My Page"). Our user accounts are managed through the server's Open Directory LDAP. We don't have an Active Directory server (though we do have a mix of PCs and Macs). All SSL checkboxes are off, if that makes a difference. How do I enable Wiki login for Open Directory accounts?

Message was edited by: MLModel

Mac Pro 6-core 3.33MHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6), OS X Server

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 5:10 PM

3 replies

Jan 29, 2011 7:57 PM in response to MLModel

It's always fun replying to my own posts, especially when no-one else has. I just discovered that checking the "WebDAV-Digest (web service clients)" checkbox in Server Admin > Open Directory > Settings > Policies > Authentication enabled users in Open Directory who aren't local users on the server to login. I guess that makes sense, but I'm still concerned that I've got something set wrong here. Do I really need to enable a "Recoverable Authentication Method" in order for OD users to login to their Wiki page?

Jan 31, 2011 9:18 AM in response to MLModel

With Server Preferences > Users you can register users, and those users should be able to access wikis that they have permission to access. And perhaps the latter is your problem. Do the users have permission to access the wikis? Do they belong to the right groups? And how did you set the wiki permissions?

Feb 13, 2011 10:46 AM in response to Etri

Thanks for your reply. My concern is with users who don't have local accounts on the server machine. It seems to me that local accounts on the server machine are generally inappropriate, as well as imposing a maintenance burden that duplicates the maintenance of the Open Directory user entries.

Am I correct that for users with no local server account I need to have "WebDAV-Digest" turned on in Server Admin > Open Directory > Settings > Policies > Authentication? Is it a bad idea to have that policy on? (I don't remember whether it is on by default when the server is installed, but it was off when I was having the Wiki problems and turning it on seemed to enable login by anyone in Open Directory.)

Network users cannot log in to Wiki

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.