Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu page inserts itself between slides

I am operating with iDVD version 7.1.1 I dragged in a folder of 30 photos from Finder. I also dragged in 4 short clips from Photo Booth. The show plays well with the audio on the computer. However, on the TV the burned DVD displays the menu screen after every slide and movie clip.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 7:30 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Is it possible you've dragged/dropped the images and clips onto the menu area? I'd suggest starting a new iDVD project, then click into slideshow mode and add the photos (do you see options for adjusting the duration of each slide, transitions, etc.?).
John
7 replies

Jan 25, 2011 9:05 PM in response to J Keller

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried a second time. This time I was careful to drag individual pictures to the designated area for the slideshow. I left the transition set to "dissolve". The duration went to "Fit to Audio" ...fine by me. The only check mark on Settings is "Duck audio while playing movies". The show previewed perfectly. The burned disk brings up the menu in the theme I chose (Soft Frame). When I push 'play' the menu sweeps to the right leaving a gray screen then the first slide appears. So far so good. However, from then on, the burned disk when played both on the TV and on the MAC transitions after each slide by abruptly cutting off the slide and going to that gray screen for about five seconds and then abruptly to the next slide. The music plays smoothly. The short movies run perfectly.

Jan 25, 2011 9:35 PM in response to Heatherstepper

A few suggestions/thoughts:

Did you try trashing iDVD's preference file?
(If not, close iDVD and go to your Home file(YourUserName)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.idvd.plist
Drag this plist to the trash--don't worry; iDVD will create a new fresh one when you reopen it).

Reopen iDVD. Create a new project...don't use the old one and just delete the slideshow. Start over.

Also, be sure you are burning to a recommended brand of DVD disk: Verbatim, Maxell, Sony, Taiyo Yuden; NOT Memorex or TDK.

And, burn at 4x or slower.

As you have discovered, iDVD's preview function is not a reliable indicator of how the burned disk will be.

Are you able to successfully create a disk image file of your project?
Do a 'Save as disk image' from within your project. The process looks like a burn, and takes just as long for the encoding, but the end result is a disk image file, not a burned DVD disk. You can test this disk image file by clicking on it to mount it, and then clicking on 'DVD Player' to view it. If the disk image file plays correctly, you know the project is fine and will burn ok. You can burn the disks from the disk image file using Disk Utility (found in Applications/Utilities). Again, use a recommended brand of DVD and a slow burn speed.

Jan 26, 2011 10:31 PM in response to Beverly Maneatis

I have yet to get recommended brand DVDs but I followed your suggestions in other respects. I find if I select 'none' for all transitions the disk image file and the DVD play as intended. However, if I select 'dissolve' as a transition the transition does not occur instead the slideshow snaps to the grayscreen for the time the transition would have taken then moves on to the next slide.
By the way, I am unable to select different transitions for different slides. Even though I click on a particular slide and select a particular transition, it gets applied to all slides.

Jan 27, 2011 12:26 AM in response to Heatherstepper

Yes....I forgot about that since I really don't do slideshows in iDVD. There is a known problem with using transitions with slideshows. Your slideshow will work much better without the transitions, and deleting them is the recommended 'fix.'

Also, iDVD does not permit you to use different transitions in a slideshow. You have to pick one and it is used for all transitions.

If you'd like the ability to use different transitions, or to use them at all, you might want to consider creating your slideshow in iMovie and then creating your iDVD project from that.

Menu page inserts itself between slides

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.