Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying iPhone 4 from Craigslist.. Question about unlock and precautions!

Hello, I'm new here and I'm about to get my first Apple device (Woo ho!)

I'm going to buy brand new iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1 from someone via Craigslist and he said it has iOS 4.2.1 that's going to sell me one for $500 (16GB). Is this reasonable? My phone is broken now so I need one soon.

Would I be able to unlock it to T-Mobile US and use their 3G/4G service?

What are some things to check when I buy phones via Craigslist? It's my first Apple device and I'm not sure what to check. Should I bring my laptop and install iTunes before wards to see it works? Since it's not unlocked, I cannot check to make sure the phone works right?

It's a lot of money so I want to make sure everything works fine. Thanks!

Lenovo, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 1:37 PM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2011 2:34 PM in response to johnkim

A Piece of advice... DON'T do it!

You don't know what you're getting. Whether it has problems, is stolen, etc. In addition, ALL U.S. phones are locked to AT&T and can not be unlocked legitimately.

IF you manage to hack it and put it on the T-mobile network, you need to know that it is NOT compatible with the T-Mobile 3G network in the U.S. You will get Edge speeds at best. Also, there are reported problems with other features, face time, visual voice mail, etc. not working on T-Mobile.

Is there some real reason why you can't just use AT&T, or starting 2/10, Verizon?

A brand new iPhone 4 with a warranty is only $199 on contract. You're going to have to buy voice and data service no matter who you get it from, so why not just bite the bullet and sign the 2 year agreement. Unless you can't get coverage from either one of those, in which case I'd question how you manage to get T-mobile coverage either...

This all assuming you're in the U.S. since you don't specify.

If you're in another country, there are legitimate sources for unlocked phones.

Jan 26, 2011 7:04 PM in response to johnkim

People here won't and can't talk about unlocking and/or jailbreaking a phone (two separate things). Regardless if you are buying on CL and you are intent on doing it no matter what we say here, make sure you buy it in person, and bring someone along that has an iPhone to compare every detail to make sure it is authentic.

Buying iPhone 4 from Craigslist.. Question about unlock and precautions!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.