Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie file import

I use Aperture with photos and HD movies from my Canon EOS550d. I back up my Aperture library using Dropbox. The HD movie files are large, so I want to exclude them from my Dropbox backup.

So, I copy the HD movies - .mvi files - to another location, my Movies folder. I plan to delete the original .mvi files from my Aperture library Masters, to save the space on Dropbox, and re-import the the copies to Aperture, from my Movies folder - telling Aperture to keep the files in their original location.

But when I go to import the files from my Movies folder, in the Aperture import dialog - the .mvi folder is empty - no mvi files appear.

Any help appreciated.

Mac Pro 3.00 GHz Quad Xeon 8gb, Mac OS X (10.5), MBP 15" 2.33 IC2Duo / 4gb / 1067MHz DDR3, MacBook Pro 17inch

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 11:13 AM

6 replies

Aug 29, 2011 12:48 AM in response to happysailor

I have a similar problem. I have a folder with a few MVIs that I would like to import but when I try to import using Apreture's dialog box it is empty.

These are MVIs from an old A95. I have previously been successful in importing the MVIs directly from the compact flash, but if I copy only the MVIs to another folder then Aperture does not see them.

Please help me import the MVIs as I've deleted the Compact Flash data structure and only have the MVIs.

Sep 1, 2011 9:43 PM in response to kupy

I've frequently had that problem where import doesn't show images on the hard drive. Sometimes waiting for a while works. Other times you have to cancel the import and then restart it. And if that doesn't work, restart Aperture. I haven't had that happen lately although I don't know if it's because they improved things with an update (or with Lion) or if I just haven't been importing from a hard drive much lately.

Movie file import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.