Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page Numbers in Table of Contents - Control By Style?

While I see I can control the various styles and which appear and how they look in the Pages Table of Contents, even choosing some styles to have a leader, or not.

What I would like to do is turn off the page number by style. For example, I've got Heading 1,2 & 3. I don't want to see the page numbers on Heading 3. I merely want to have them listed under Heading 2.

But pages won't let me edit the auto-generated TOC to even manually remove those numbers. But there must be an option to show or not show page numbers in a TOC?

MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, and many more, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 11:48 AM

16 replies

Jan 27, 2011 12:49 PM in response to MacMyDays

Allan Karl wrote:
While I see I can control the various styles and which appear and how they look in the Pages Table of Contents, even choosing some styles to have a leader, or not.

What I would like to do is turn off the page number by style. For example, I've got Heading 1,2 & 3. I don't want to see the page numbers on Heading 3. I merely want to have them listed under Heading 2.

But pages won't let me edit the auto-generated TOC to even manually remove those numbers. But there must be an option to show or not show page numbers in a TOC?

The Apple answer to this kind of request was posted here several times.

To be short :

Export the document as rtf
Disable the automatic TOC
Paste the rtf file at the beginning of your doc.
This way you would be able to edit the frozen TOC as you wish.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 27 janvier 2011 21:49:13

Jan 28, 2011 11:09 AM in response to MacMyDays

I think you have missed the point. When you Export to RTF you will only save the text. It doesn't matter that you have images in the document. they will not export and nothing will change. The point is that you export the TOC in this procedure.
Change the TOC to your hearts content and then copy the TOC and past it in the Pages document, replacing this automatic inserted TOC

Here is Apple suggestion _ http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2127_

Nov 16, 2013 9:19 PM in response to fruhulda

Hey

I'm really struggling with my pages as I have created a table of contents for iWork09 but it's defaulted for the pages numbers to sit directly after the chapter rather than face the opposing side like your picture shows. I tried changing the tabs and then the text layout from left to across the page but all it does it push the numbering to the next line (for the longer titles) and push the numbers across (for the shorter named titles). I can't even get the lines to appear so that the chapter title appears, then some dots leading to the number. Any ideas?User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2013 7:26 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Sorry, I understand the second bit there, but when I select my Table of Contents (highlight it with a mouse) and then go to tabs in the inspector, click on the plus and make it to the right, nothing happens, even when I increase the cm spacing in the inspector tab window. It distances the page numbers, but when I select a dot style I want, no dots appear.

On YouTube it shows a guy making the Table of Contents upon which the numbers used to appear automatically appearing on the right - does this no longer happen?

~J~

Page Numbers in Table of Contents - Control By Style?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.