You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

T9 support in iOS dialer

Hello,

I'm asking me Why there's no T9 support in the dialer to get the desired contact faster. Many other mobile brands are already supporting this very useful function. Looking for a contact in the contact-list takes much longer and the favourites-list is also incomplete for most cases.

I'd really welcome this function!

iPhone4, iOS 4

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 12:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 8:07 PM

It is not going to happen. T9, which stands for Text on 9 keys, is a patented predictive text technology for mobile phones. I doubt Apple would waste time to develop their own format or pay for it.

http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/t9/index.htm
17 replies

Jan 28, 2011 1:13 AM in response to spacedye2001

@GeekBoy.from.Illinois: i've used the slider. this not very usable for fast dialing.

do you think all of the manufacturers pay for the patents if it isn't worth?
i think this is a technology which every phone should have today.

i'd like a statement from apple why they don't use it, since it is a company where usability is one of the greatest features of their products. (i've sent a feedback)

Jan 29, 2011 1:50 AM in response to Tamara

First I want to apologize for my english. I'm not a native speaker.

ajduguid wrote:
On a more realistic note, of all the requests made to Apple for improvements to the iPhone, how seriously do you really think they will take this? don't forget to factor in how stubborn Apple can be. Be honest now :-P

that's the word: stubborn.
I'm feeling a bit under fire in this topic.
I'm sure that I'm not the only person out there having this issue. Implementing this feature wouldn't affect your usage.
Is it so hard to admit that there are useful features which other mobile brands do serve for quite some time, that apple hasn't introduced yet?

Tamara wrote:
I think the issue is the adaptability of the OP. It seems that younger people who have spent years using T9 with their thumbs have a hard time adjusting to a real keyboard.

I'm quite used to the full keyboard, but my opinion is that dialing right out of the keypad is faster and more comfortable.

Jan 27, 2011 1:25 PM in response to chrisi1002

Have you used the "slider" along the right side of the screen in the contact list? You slide your finger to a letter, and it takes you to that part of the address book, you can quickly position yourself to the top of the "T's" just by sliding your finger down to the "T" in the right column. I find myself hitting that column more often than I intend, and have to reposition myself back to where I was, but that's "user error" on my part. In this case, the term "fat finger" is very accurate (or more correctly not very accurate, so I often am tapping things I don't want).

Jan 28, 2011 2:10 AM in response to chrisi1002

They currently offer a virtual keyboard that swaps between portrait and landscape mode and have done so since the first version of the iPhone. I think you'll struggle to come up with a compelling argument to persuade them to pay for an additional patent which covers an idea designed specifically for a button layout that doesn't support a full keyboard.

Out of curiosity, does the Blackberry with its full keyboard bother with T9 support?

Jan 28, 2011 9:43 AM in response to chrisi1002

i'd like a statement from apple why they don't use it, since it is a company where usability is one of the greatest features of their products. (i've sent a feedback)

I see - Apple must explain its decisions that are not in compliance with your desires and analysis. After all, what occurs to you is best by definition, of course.

Actually, Apple has a policy about this in place: Those who demand T9 support are compelled to seek it elsewhere, and don't slam the door on the way out. It's a policy that's helped achieve >100 million iPhone customers.

Message was edited by: modular747

Jan 28, 2011 9:51 AM in response to chrisi1002

You misunderstand me. The idea of predictive texting surely came about because typing words out with a numeric keypad was far from efficient. So my question was why would Apple, with their system for allowing a full keyboard in either rotation, licence a patent that was motivated by a button layout that the iPhone are not constricted by?

I get why manufacturers using a mechanical keypad would see licensing it as a necessary evil but if you expect input to always be via a full keyboard why increase the cost of each unit for something they (Apple) probably consider unnecessary.

On a more realistic note, of all the requests made to Apple for improvements to the iPhone, how seriously do you really think they will take this? don't forget to factor in how stubborn Apple can be. Be honest now :-P

T9 support in iOS dialer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.