Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synching question

Folks-
i have read heaps of previous posts in the forum, but am not quite sure i have a handle on things, so am resorting to posting. my situation:

- i had a bunch of music and movies on a "family computer," and a bunch on my own laptop
- the family computer is on its last legs
- hoping to consolidate the libraries, i manually moved most files from the old computer to the new computer - music, apps, movies - but not the intact iTunes library per se, so no Contacts, Notes, or Voice Memos.

now i need to synch my iPhone, and need to get access to the Contacts, Notes, and Voice Memos on the new computer. i did make a backup of the phone in iTunes on the new computer so far, but that is it.

i hope that makes sense; can anyone help? thank you!
ed

Dell, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 2:56 AM

Welcome to the discussions,
If you created a manual backup on your new computer by right clicking on it in the device list and choosing "backup" and copied your purchases by selecting File->transfer purchases, you can restore the phone after you synced for the first time. If you used to sync to the old computer, your phone will be erased, but you can restore from the manual backup you made.
Be sure to have at least one contact and event set up on your new computer, to be able to merge your contacts and calendars during the sync process.
Here's info abut the content of a backup: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2011 2:56 AM in response to echewitt

Welcome to the discussions,
If you created a manual backup on your new computer by right clicking on it in the device list and choosing "backup" and copied your purchases by selecting File->transfer purchases, you can restore the phone after you synced for the first time. If you used to sync to the old computer, your phone will be erased, but you can restore from the manual backup you made.
Be sure to have at least one contact and event set up on your new computer, to be able to merge your contacts and calendars during the sync process.
Here's info abut the content of a backup: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Synching question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.