Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delivery report in Mail

Hi,

does Mail have an option for "Delivery report" and/or "Read receipt" like Outlook does?

tnx

iMac 20", Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 2:01 PM

No.

One thing I have done to work around this was to create a signature which politely asks the recipient to please acknowledge receipt. That gets around the issue of destination mail clients that don't support sending read receipts back to the sender (like Mail) or people getting P.O.'ed that you had the audacity to request a read receipt and them landing up declining to send you one coz' now they're in a bad mood.

There are ways to implement this by typing in a few unix commands using Terminal.app, but it enables the functionality for all of your outgoing messages, all the time. I suppose a pair of Apple scripts could be developed to turn it on or off. You might also check into a package called Mailscripts (I think it is named) which has a collection of Apple scripts to do various things like queue mail for later delivery, etc. It may have something to implement read receipts, but I don't know for certain.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2011 2:01 PM in response to scuzzyfuzzy

No.

One thing I have done to work around this was to create a signature which politely asks the recipient to please acknowledge receipt. That gets around the issue of destination mail clients that don't support sending read receipts back to the sender (like Mail) or people getting P.O.'ed that you had the audacity to request a read receipt and them landing up declining to send you one coz' now they're in a bad mood.

There are ways to implement this by typing in a few unix commands using Terminal.app, but it enables the functionality for all of your outgoing messages, all the time. I suppose a pair of Apple scripts could be developed to turn it on or off. You might also check into a package called Mailscripts (I think it is named) which has a collection of Apple scripts to do various things like queue mail for later delivery, etc. It may have something to implement read receipts, but I don't know for certain.

Delivery report in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.