Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update boot support partitions for the Volume as required

I repair the Disk there was a message to update the boot camp partition for the Volume I'm a bit lost why the Volume is not recognizing the update ( i'm running 3.2 boot camp) I did from the Window side. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks ntxplayer

iMac 8,1, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Intel Coro 2 Duo 2.66 GHz

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 2:27 PM

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

I get this on EVERY drive now when using disk repair. I even reformatted a drive and it is empty. Ran disk repair and got “Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.“ again....

What is going on here Apple???
19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2011 2:27 PM in response to ntxplayer

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

I get this on EVERY drive now when using disk repair. I even reformatted a drive and it is empty. Ran disk repair and got “Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.“ again....

What is going on here Apple???

Feb 3, 2011 3:06 PM in response to vandar

You didn't hear, read or understand this "has nothing to do with Windows" it has everything to do with GPT though and partition tables under the hood that are not accessible.

It does NOT tells you to fix anything.

Snow Leopard though has had to update and insure that any drive using the new changes in GPT that it wasn't using pre-10.6.5.

Mar 26, 2011 2:30 PM in response to ntxplayer

I'm getting this message on a drive that will not boot, and have the same question about how long to leave the disk utility repair running since nothing seems to be happening.

What I really need help with is getting this drive to boot and figuring out if there's also a problem with my computer. This was my internal hard drive - 320gb. I was able to boot from an external hard drive - 120gb. I swapped them to check if there was something wrong inside my computer - not sure if this was a meaningful test. The 120 can still boot, but the 320 cannot.

Disk repair on the 320 says its fine, and then get to the message everyone's talking about.

Any advice about how to get the 320 to boot?

Can I assume that computer is OK since the 120 works? boot up is slow, though. is there a way to run some sort of diagnostics on my machine?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 27, 2011 1:16 AM in response to AnneyL

I haven't gotten this message, but with increasing #s of unexpected quits, particularly in Safari leading to not being able to boot. Then archive & install. Got better but then got worse until erase & install was advised. Genius bar guys suggested that possibly the partition got messed up. Things are still messed up after the erase & install yesterday, but I suspect it might be due to more being restored than was supposed to be, thus reintroducing the problems. Have another genius bar appt for help to get it back working right. I started really noticing problems on Feb 19 which cascaded until by Feb 28 I couldn't even boot on the mac side, but could in bootcamp.

I usually run in Parallels, rarely running in bootcamp (usually to install Windows software or when talking to our co tech support whose standard line is "we don't support mac" or "our software may not run on a mac, even in bootcamp").

If I understood the comments properly, 10.6.5 I think it was made changes to the way it handled the partition. So could that have led to problems that rapidly escalated so as to not be able to boot at all on the mac side? & if so, would that mean that after being updated past that & then getting things working again, that it wouldn't be likely to happen again? That would be reassuring. I've spent days of my time trying to figure out what was causing the increasing problems over the last mo.

Mar 28, 2011 7:58 PM in response to vandar

Hi everybody,
the message: “Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.“
means: the Disk Utilities is telling you what it is doing:
'Disk Utilities':
"(I'm) Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required (& I'm done with it)."
So when you see this message, the DS (Disk Utilities) is done & you can close the application.
(I don't know about some people...)

Mar 29, 2011 5:08 AM in response to AnneyL

Your issue is booting OS X, there is a forum and lots of help.

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1339

The best - Alsoft Disk Warrior 4.3 $90 to repair Mac system

Clone your system and erase and restore - anyone and everyone should be so prepared at any time.

And do not rely on just Apple DU First Aid to find and repair problems.

If you boot into Single User Mode and run fsck;
And follow with Safe Boot.
What then?

Normally I don't recommend running Repair Disk Permissions, but you should try that also.

If there is a problem, a CLEAN install, not install over (or older term, Archive & Install) won't fix and will just hide underlying directory corruption.

Of course you want to try Safe Boot, unplug everything you can to eliminate potential issue.

Apr 5, 2011 12:58 AM in response to The hatter

Erased 2nd time a week ago, just getting it set up again on bootcamp side no Parallels now. More repeated crashes & some blue screens. 2nd time genius bar said to just bring files back as needed, not all at once. Only iLife & iWork installed on Mac side. Went back 2day & now proposing to replace logic board, something else I think & maybe even HD for good measure since other stuff didn't work. Had not run deep hardware tests but other tests showed hardware ok.

But they don't seem to really know what caused recurrence within 1 wk of erase. Could files or software on Windows side cause problems on Mac side?

Most recently Mail just bounced when I clicked finally opened but crashed when I tried clicked on attach. Also on boot desktop, then brief blue screen then desktop again, just before the mail crashes. Shut down. Later Safari crashed.

Apr 6, 2011 10:59 PM in response to The hatter

Have a question about clone & restore. Wouldn't restoring from a clone restore it with the corruptions? I know Genius bar told me to just restore users & then just bring back files as needed.

btw while some of us know a lot of different things about computers, I know I have big holes in what I know & do not undertand all the abbreviations, having just come back to mac after about 8-10 yrs on the other side & still needing to use Windows.

I'm also wondering about the difference between Disk Warrior & Cocktail which my brother uses & said MacWorld recommends. So much has changed from when I was using a Mac before (PowerPC 6100 I think running OS 7 or maybe it was 6. 1st owned Mac was SE, started on a 512k Mac upgraded to 2 mb at work) Hoping the extensive hardware replacement will fix the problems & then want to be proactive in preventing further problems. Do those programs work ok w bootcamp & using it as a VM?

May 24, 2011 7:47 AM in response to ntxplayer

I ran a repair disk and was told I needed to repair from the startup disk. I've repaired from the Snow Leopard Disk Utitilty and the final line says "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.".

Should I see a notice when it has 'completed' updating boot support partitions? It doesn't appear that anything is happening at this stage, so just want to ensure I won't interrupt anything if I restart.

Thanks,

R

update boot support partitions for the Volume as required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.