Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro March 2009 dual quad core only recognizes two processors

I installed Win7 Professional 32 bit. I realize now that I should have bought the 64 bit version. The problem with the 32 bit is that it only recognizes two of eight processors and two of eight gigs of Ram.
My questions are:
1. Which 64 bit version should I buy?
2. Will it recognize all eight processors?
3. Will it recognize all eight gigs of RAM, two on each processor?
4. How should I go about uninstalling Win7 32 bit and installing Win7 64 bit?

Mac Pro '09, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 17" MBP, 24' IMac

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 5:54 PM

9 replies

Jan 28, 2011 8:11 PM in response to ProImagesPa

If you have "DUAL" quad Proc's then why would you see more then TWO.:)

It just means you have 4 "CORES" -PER- processor. Think of the "Cores" as 4 "mini" processors in each individual processor. Does your Mac OS show more then 2 processors when you go to "About This Mac"/"More Info"?

The ram is not "assigned" a processor, it's used by ALL the programs in a "as needed" basis. If your still only seeing 2 gigs+- of ram then it looks like you'll need 64_bit. I only have XP, but I know Windows 7 64_bit shows all your Ram.

You might ask Microsoft if they have an Upgrade system from 32 to 64_bit.
Or, use another HD with 2 partitions and use both for compatibility issues.

64_bit (or 32_bit) only refers to the "basic" Operating System. Windows 7 Home, Pro, etc, just adds more "features" as you go up.
Be aware though, you will need to find out what devices/applications need to have 64_bit drivers.
(For anyone looking at Home, you will have to pay another $100 above the Home version to get Pro for the "XP Compatibility Mode".)

Hope this helps....

Jan 28, 2011 8:34 PM in response to ProImagesPa

Hi,

DON'T get the Home version !!

Home versions of WIndows (XP, Vista, WIndows 7) only support ONE physical processor with multiple cores.

Only the PRO versions and above support TWO physical processors with multiple cores each.

With your now installed 32-bit Windows 7 Pro you should see eight bars (= eight cores) when using the Activity Monitor from within the Task-Manager.

Regards

Stefan

Sep 14, 2013 5:54 AM in response to Jaygyver

Jaygyver wrote:

If you have "DUAL" quad Proc's then why would you see more then TWO.:)

Two 4 core processors = 8 cores, and that is what the 64 bit version will see, 32 bit versions can only use 2 of the 8 cores.

PCs with multi-core processors:
Windows 7 was designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):
Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.

Mac Pro March 2009 dual quad core only recognizes two processors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.