Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i load 4.2 without doing a backup

my backup takes 20 hours before the ipad battery drains or the laptop freezes. I havent been able to stay awake long enough to see what happens at the end of backup just seems to want to start over.... I jdont need a backup just want to load the new OS to get airplay. help

ipad, iOS 4

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 1:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 4:27 AM

You have to do the backup before, you can do the update.
8 replies

Jan 29, 2011 5:28 AM in response to Tamara

thanks. trying again 5 hours and around 30% completed. Its under warrantee so think i will get my money back and forget apple for good.
How do they get away with it ? fails to charge; fails to sync; fails to backup; fails to upgrade; still no flash; forced to use itunes; freezes on video; sticks on landscape; no USB interface; lost purchased music when replaced first device after 2 weeks...
the worst tech purchase i ever made and I only had it since november. is there a conspiracy of silence or all all users too embarassed to admit they spent good money on the worlds biggest con trick.

my pc ***** too but at least its honest

Jan 29, 2011 6:06 AM in response to st5ph5n

Sorry you're having a bad time of it but what you're experiencing is not the norm.

You will not get a refund for it. If you don't like it, you'll have to sell it. The warranty only covers manufacturer defects and Apple will exchange it for another one if they determine your issue is hardware related.

Jan 29, 2011 10:15 AM in response to st5ph5n

I have had A LOT of problems with my PC and ipad. While my specific problems are not yours, sycning, downloads etc. would take HOURS AND HOURS to do. Finally syncing my ipad failed totally and 90% of my ipad apps were not functional (it got progressively worse).

I too was frustrated by lack of response to my queries here, but found a lot of help in the "windows and itunes" forum on this site. I ended up having to totally uninstalling anything related to itunes and apple off my PC (and it was harder than it looked) and reinstalling itunes.

Now, all is good and I LOVE my ipad again! (I will think twice before sycnign again, but that is just being gun shy. I know how to resolve the 'taking forever/will not' sync issue now!

Don't give up on these people, they know what they are talking about! Try the Windows forum...

Jan 29, 2011 11:57 AM in response to dogtrainer

I will think twice before sycnign again

I highly recommend you remember to and sync regularly.
Shouldn't take more than few minutes after the initial backup.
When I first got my iPad, I sync'd two or there times then I pretty much quit using my computer as I used the iPad for everything.
However, after installing a bunch of apps, a few weeks later, I decided to sync to get them onto the computer. Something messed up and I had to restore the iPad, losing all the data I had on it.
Getting the apps back was no problem, though it was a pain.

Now I plug it in every few days just to make sure I have a recent backup and all purchases (apps and music) get copied over to the computer.

can i load 4.2 without doing a backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.