Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Aperture user

I decided to grab a copy of Aperture through the App store - need to be able to do some minor editing on some of my pictures (rotate by a few degrees, crop, color adjustment...) that apparently are not possible in iPhoto.

I pulled in one library just to get an idea of how Aperture works compared to iPhoto. This library has a number of low-res BMP screenshots (some are 16-color), and I notice Aperture made them ALL monochrome, some are even completely black (exported copies are OK). Why? Just wondering. It's not THAT big a deal; I do have a "plan B" if there is no way around Aperture's indigestion.

Another unrelated question - are the photos in the Aperture library accessible through the OS in the same way iPhoto's library is?

Mac mini (2009), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 4:52 AM

need to be able to do some minor editing on some of my pictures (rotate by a few degrees, crop, color adjustment...) that apparently are not possible in iPhoto.

These are possible in iPhoto.

This library has a number of low-res BMP screenshots (some are 16-color),

Not a supported format.

are the photos in the Aperture library accessible through the OS in the same way iPhoto's library is?

Yes, if you a: check the option to Share Previews with iLife in the Preferences, and b: generate Previews. Note that it's the previews that are shared, and pretty much in all the ways that the iPhoto Library is shared.

Regards

TD
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2011 4:52 AM in response to Dave Dahle

need to be able to do some minor editing on some of my pictures (rotate by a few degrees, crop, color adjustment...) that apparently are not possible in iPhoto.

These are possible in iPhoto.

This library has a number of low-res BMP screenshots (some are 16-color),

Not a supported format.

are the photos in the Aperture library accessible through the OS in the same way iPhoto's library is?

Yes, if you a: check the option to Share Previews with iLife in the Preferences, and b: generate Previews. Note that it's the previews that are shared, and pretty much in all the ways that the iPhoto Library is shared.

Regards

TD

Feb 2, 2011 5:19 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hrm. So it would seem that I could do in iPhoto what I thought it couldn't - didn't realize that... already used the straighten option to 'save' a couple otherwise marginal shots.

I ended up shifting all the BMPs and GIFs out of iPhoto back into a separate set of folders as it seems those should just be treated as files and not images.

I'll have to take a few steps back and take a good look at which direction I want to go. Thanks for the input.

Nov 9, 2013 2:28 PM in response to Yer_Man

TD: In the end, I ended up moving all the content that is not mine back into a hierarchical folder structure, leaving enough pictures to be distributed across four iPhoto libraries (for ease of DVD backup).

I'll eventually track down all the BMPs I still have and get them converted to JPG or PNG as appropriate.

I still have Aperture but have yet to make use of it (and I feel silly for pouncing on a "deal" when the price was temporarily lowered by $20). I just now tried the link that was suggested by Chris above only to find it dead.

New Aperture user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.