Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing the dreaded evercookie

Can anyone advise how to permanently remove an evercookie? I found Dominic White's blog about removing an evercookie in Safari. He provides a script, but I have little to no experience with running scripts on my Mac. I opened Terminal, pasted the script, and followed the instructions, but it didn't clear the evercookie. In all likelihood, I didn't run the script correctly.

If someone could provide step-by-step instructions for running a script, I would be very grateful. Here is the link to Dominic's blog with the script: http://singe.za.net/blog/archives/1014-Killing-the-Evercookie.html#extended

Thank you!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Safari

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 5:10 AM

29 replies

Jan 29, 2011 8:44 AM in response to purplecat

Hi 🙂

the script detailed there is fairly limited, intended to clean up what a full Safari reset leaves behind, ... even then it seems limited, but presumably it does the trick.

anyway, you surely don;t need a script to do that, since all the files removed are in the user's home library folder.

#!/bin/bash
echo "Deleting evercookie locations Safari missed (see samy.pl/evercookie)"
rm -r ~/Library/Safari/Databases/*
rm -r ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage/*
rm -r ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects/*

echo - just writes to the screen

rm - removes (deletes) files or folders
so there's just three useful lines which remove all the files in these folders
~/Library/Safari/Databases/
~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage/
~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects/

You can use Finder to see those yourself & trash them, paste the lines into Safari's address bar if you've any trouble locating them. Trash the whole folder, Safari will create new ones next time it runs.

Like they say, quit Safari before trashing them ( & consider dumping the entire Macromedia folder )

Jan 29, 2011 11:47 AM in response to andyBall_uk

The cookie is called .want-girls.com. It was a dating forum that posted info about a book I wrote. I navigated to it several months ago, and bookmarked the website. I would probably not even notice the cookie if it weren't for the name. I have since deleted the bookmark, and, as I said, the website is no longer there.

Yes, I can see it in Safari-Preference-Security-Show Cookies. I delete it and keep the window open to watch what happens as I work in Safari. It doesn't matter whether I'm on one site or many, eventually it pops up again in the cookie window. The only way it won't pop up again is if I block all cookies. That just gets tiresome as some sites routinely require cookies, and once I click back to "accept cookies only from sites I navigate," it's back again.

I just tried trashing ~/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist with Safari quit and also after yet another reset. I have a feeling it's going to take more than that, but I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for your patience and persistence with this problem. You're a good evercookie!

And just as I was typing this post, it came back again! It is driving me absolutely crazy!

Jan 29, 2011 12:38 PM in response to purplecat

ok, maybe not evercookie anyway - if you have cookie prefs set to 'sites I visit' then Safari shouldn't allow the creation of a xyz.com one unless you go there... of course. I've seen nothing yet to suggest that evercookie can get round that.

There have been a few threads here before with seemingly persistent cookies, even after trashing the plist... I've never been able to recreate that, so presume it's been some extra software on those macs. Either some syncing usefulness, or (less likely) potentially some deliberately designed app/addon. I say that only since I've not read of any current way to write cookies through safari, w/o Safari applying its usual rules.

So, you've no extra software always running? Safari extensions (shouldn't be possible, but hey), Home/Library/InputManagers, HD/Library/InputManagers, Home/Library/LaunchAgents/, Home/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ etc or showing in System Preferences-Accounts-Login Items ?

there's no mobileme or similar?

Jan 29, 2011 12:46 PM in response to andyBall_uk

No, no syncing with Safari. I don't even have any apps or add-ons for Safari. The cookie pref allowed the cookie to be planted when I originally visited the site. Now it seems here to stay. The only other thing that's always running is my email program – nothing to do with Safari. I trashed the original Safari folder in Library so wouldn't that have cleared out everything like that??

Removing the dreaded evercookie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.