Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enablign WLAN for Netgear USB Wireless

I am trying to set up an IMAC to access my wireless network using a Netgear USB wireless dongle. I have successfully installed the driver software, and I can go into the Netgear utility and enter the WEP codes to access the protected network, and I can then get online.

The problem: I cannot get the IMAC to "remember" this. Every time the machine is restarted I get the message to "Please Enable the WLAN card in the Network Item of System Preferences".

I cannot seem to do this, the Netgear does not show up in the Network items, so I cannot "enable" it. And the computer cannot get online until I once again go to the Netgear utility and go through the hassle of filling in the WEP codes again. I have tried saving the Profile. I have tried everything obvious.

How do I solve this?

IMAC, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 6:09 AM

2 replies

Feb 4, 2011 8:26 PM in response to ClarkNK

For the benefit of anyone following this:

I contacted Netgear who took the position that since I could get online with their dongle, it was not their problem, and that I should contact Apple and ask them why their system was not saving the network profile once I set it up.

I wound up taking it to an Apple Store where I was fortunate enough to get a techie to look at it. On confirming the problem, he conferred with his techie boss, after which they said to me "we could probably fix this, but it would be more trouble that it is worth. Is it ok with you if we install Tiger?"

Turns out Panther is old, and has networking issues. Sounded like a good deal to me (free) so I said sure. So they installed Tiger, then had to go get updated drivers for my Netgera dongle and install those.

Long story short, it now works, with still one niggle. On restart, it still nags me to "Enable the WLAN card", but at least when I click on OK, it goes off and connects to the network automatically, so I'n not having to live with setting up the network configuration every time. I guess I can live with that.

Enablign WLAN for Netgear USB Wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.