Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Novation SL & Automap & Mainstage = ****

Has anyone gotten this to work in any reasonable way?

I just picked up a Novation SL Remote Mk II 61-key because the keyboard feels absolutely awesome and by the looks of it, can control almost anything, including Logic. The word "Mainstage" has been suspiciously absent from most literature...

First of all, it seems incredibly powerful. BUT...the documentation, while abundant, is anything but clear.

For instance, no matter what I do, I can't get the Novation to put out CC#1 for the modulation stick. It insists on transmitting CC#68 for some ridiculous reason. I've changed the setting on the keyboard and saved it...I've changed it on the Automap Server screen...and they both show CC#1 when I move the mod stick. BUT...Mainstage shows CC#68.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro 3.0 8-core / MacBook Pro 2.4 / iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 11:46 AM

6 replies

Jan 29, 2011 5:46 PM in response to pizzafilms

You may want to try quitting the Automap application. This will give you a direct connection between the SL and Mainstage. If it is still showing up as CC#68 than it is something within the template you are using...

Also, CC68 and CC69 are what the track pad transmits on...is it possible your palm is resting on the track pad and causing it to send out a message?

Jan 30, 2011 2:49 AM in response to Jmac Nash

Automap is necessary if you want MS to be able to send messages back to the Novation, to update its values according to what is shown on MS's screen.

If you do not need that, then you could quit automap and work straight from Midi messages.

Also, i think Automap can redirect messages, so it means that Remote can send CC1 to automap, it filters it to cc68 and sends to MS... maybe that is the problem you are having. I suggest you to verify if your screen control are receiving you Mod wheel data from the MIDI stream or from Automap.

valgreem

Jan 30, 2011 9:57 AM in response to valgreen

That's what I think is happening...but I can't figure it out. And the same nonsense is happening now with a drumpad.

- The keyboard (in Automap mode) shows that I'm sending Note C0 from drumpad 1.
- Automap shows the drumpad as being setup as Note C0.
- When I hit the pad, Automap now shows receiving CC#85

And no matter what I do, the mod wheel ALWAYS transmits CC#68.

Seriously, ***?

On another matter...when I edit the Drumpad on the keyboard, I set the Midi channel to 10, then hit Write and save it...If I come back to that same page, it's STILL on KeyboardChannel.

Something is seriously wrong...

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2011 7:13 AM in response to pizzafilms

I have the 37 note version and I too had the same problems. Kill the automap, don't even use it. Use the RemoteSlEditor application to create your changes and send them to the SL remote and then just save it to a preset. Also, make sure you aren't touching the axis pad below the mod/bend stick, as it transmits over 4 different midi cc messages depending on the location of your finger. The Remote is an awesome controller for mainstage, I use it to do all my program changes, mixer controlls and percussion.

Apr 19, 2011 10:04 AM in response to lrizzo2001

Seems that Automap doesn't like MainStage very much. I've got a similar issue with my SL MkII and the expression pedal sending Portamento control #65 instead of CC11, when routed through Automap selecting any preset on Instr, Mixer and FXs banks. Only when I select an User preset the pedal starts sending CC11 again.

I wrote a mail to our local Novation dealer's help support, and they told me that "Automap doesn't communicate with MainStage through MIDI CCs but through automation parameters from plugins and VIs". But that doesn't quite explain the issues we're talking about. I still think that Automap is a great feature, but I've never seen it working as expected...

Is there any Logic-Automap user around here, willing to explain how they work together ? It could be a great help.

Novation SL & Automap & Mainstage = ****

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.