Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change default from Pages to MS Word

Hello out there
Could someone please tell me how I can change the default setting of Pages to MS word as all my work is written in MS Word... Having every time Pages opening the documents makes it very tedious to remember to save it as MS Word document (most of the time I forget and the get into problems with colleagues that do not have Pages.....) Hope some one is able to help me with this

Thank you all and have a nice Sunday.... Will be 40+ degree C in Alice Springs today so I stay in

Ingolf

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 4:35 PM

7 replies

Jan 29, 2011 5:47 PM in response to Ingolf Eigenwillig

Pages produces .pages documents it is not MsWord. You will always have to Export to .doc or *Save As…*

If you want to always save as .doc, then use *MsWord for Mac, Bean, TextEdit* or OpenOffice which will save to .doc.

If you are having .doc files open in Pages instead of one of the other programs, select a .doc file:

+Menu > File > Get Info+ and change the default opening application.

Peter

Jan 29, 2011 6:13 PM in response to Ingolf Eigenwillig

Pages is not in any "default" setting.

If you use Pages to create documents they are Pages documents.

If you are trying to open .doc files and they always open in Pages, I told you how to change that.

If you mean something else, tell me what that is.

What applications do you have installed to either open or edit files with?

Do you want to use MsWord? Then you must purchase and install MsOffice for Mac, or use one of the alternative applications I listed, some of which are free.

Peter

Jan 29, 2011 6:38 PM in response to Ingolf Eigenwillig

Ingolf Eigenwillig wrote:
I have a copy, purchased by myself, of MS Work.... it is installed and works very well, however every time I open a Microsoft Word) document it opens in Pages.... how can I make it so it opens in MS Word to begin with?

Hi Ingolf,

Peter has already explained this in an earlier post. Here it is in simple steps:

• Go to the Finder. (press command-tab to select the Finder icon—the blue and white smiling faces)
• Open a finder Window (File > New Window)
• Navigate to a window containing files including some MS Word files)
• Find and select any file whose name ends .doc
• Get Info (Press command-I
• In the Get Info window, find the 'Open with' section.
• Click on the pop-up menu in this section and choose Microsoft Word.
• Click on the Change All button beneath the pop-up menu.
• Close the Get Info window.

• Find and select any file whose name ends .docx
• Get Info (Press command-I)
• In the Get Info window, find the 'Open with' section.
• Click on the pop-up menu in this section and choose Microsoft Word.
• Click on the Change All button beneath the pop-up menu.
• Close the Get Info window.

Done.

Note:
You may need to uncheck a box labeled "Hide extensions" to see the .doc and .docx extensions.

Regards,
Barry

Change default from Pages to MS Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.