Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restriction code

I don't have a clue what my restrictions code is. can't remember creating this code myself (I have the phone for 3 weeks now...) and the default 0000 which normally works doesn't. any idea's on how I could find / retrieve this restrictions code?

macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 8:16 AM

If you can't remember your restrictions code, you will have to restore your phone as a new device in iTunes(NOT FROM BACKUP). All saved data on your phone will be lost, including the restrictions code. Follow this by syncing your content back to your phone. There is no way to retrieve this code if you can't remember it.
19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2011 8:16 AM in response to mimeermin

If you can't remember your restrictions code, you will have to restore your phone as a new device in iTunes(NOT FROM BACKUP). All saved data on your phone will be lost, including the restrictions code. Follow this by syncing your content back to your phone. There is no way to retrieve this code if you can't remember it.

Jan 30, 2011 8:45 AM in response to mimeermin

That message usually means that your phone was "hacked" to unlock it, not officially unlocked. Updating software or restoring a "hacked" iPhone will re-lock it to the carrier it was originally locked to. Only the carrier an iPhone is locked to can authorize the phone's official unlocking. Where and from whom did you obtain your phone?

Mar 15, 2014 11:27 AM in response to Lauren Hutton

The restrictions passcode does not prevent you "from getting in" and can't be set by itself. The chosen restrictions passcode must be entered twice for verification.

The passcode lock can be created automatically when accessing an employer provided Exchange account when the employer requires the passcode lock being enabled when accessing their account on the iPhone or iOS device.

Mar 15, 2014 4:06 PM in response to Allan Sampson

When access to my smpt password was grayed out, one forum suggested turning off restrictions. (Any ideas how to change the outgoing password?)

I navigated to that option and it required a code. If restrictions are not activated, the window will show a list of grayed out icons. I have never accessed restrictions before and I never knowingly ever entered a restriction code, yet it required such a code. I tried 0000 because that is a typical default code. If I had ever set a restriction code, I would not have used 0000. In this case, I tried it and it worked.

Mar 15, 2014 4:27 PM in response to Lauren Hutton

There is a Restrictions option for allowing or not allowing changes to email accounts.

Restrictions is not enabled by default with 0000 and cannot be enabled by itself, and not allowing changes to accounts must be manually turned on after restrictions is enabled.

If not currently enabled or activated, the window shows a list of grayed out icons and selections. In order to activate Restrictions, you must manually enter a 4 digit numeric passcode twice for verification. When returning to restrictions that is enabled to make a change or to disable restrictions, you must enter the passcode that was manually entered twice for verification when restrictions was enabled.

Mar 16, 2014 9:48 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Then based on what you've said, sometime over the last 4 years, I (or my kids) must have set the restrictions code. I guess that is what happened.

I know I shouldn't hijack this thread, but you seem to be very knowledgeable about issues with the iPhone. I have set a Restriction code but then couldn't not find an option to lock or unlock Mail settings within the Restrictions window. Also, I noticed that the settings for my second e-mail account are not grayed out an neither are the incoming settings for my aol account. Only the aol outgoing settings are grayed out. To fix this, I tried changing my default account to my gmail account. That did not work and neither did syncing my iPhone to my desktop aol account through iTunes. All I'm trying to do is change my aol outgoing password. Any ideas?

Using iOS 6.1.6 on a 3GS

Mar 16, 2014 10:00 AM in response to Lauren Hutton

Then based on what you've said, sometime over the last 4 years, I (or my kids) must have set the restrictions code. I guess that is what happened.

Correct, or if the iPhone was restored with iTunes from the backup for another iPhone or iOS device that had Restrictions enabled. The Restrictions passcode is included with the backup for an iOS device.

With iOS 7, it is Accounts below Allow Changes. It should be the same or similar under iOS 6.

Sounds like AOL includes an option to not be able to change the SMTP server settings after creating the account. Delete and recreate the account on your iPhone and the correct SMTP server settings for AOL will be set up.

Changing the default email account has no effect on account settings for any email account. The default email account selection is used when selecting a photo to be emailed from the Photos app or when there is any option to send an email from another app outside of the Mail app.

restriction code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.