Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to paste filenames without attaching them

I'm getting used to Apple Mail after many years as an Entourage user. Unlike Entourage, if I select a list of files in the Finder, copy and paste into Mail, it attaches the files. I just want to paste the filenames (letting the client know what they will get on my FTP). I do not want to attach them.

My work-around has been to paste the links into Text Edit, copy those and then paste into Mail.

Is there a simpler way to do this?

MacPro (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad Core, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 10:47 AM

You need to select a file, press RETURN to activate filename edit mode, press COMMAND-C to copy the select name, then paste into your message using COMMAND-V. This will paste just the filename rather than attaching the file. However, you need to do this for each file. You cannot do it on a selected group of files.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2011 10:47 AM in response to Eric Basir

You need to select a file, press RETURN to activate filename edit mode, press COMMAND-C to copy the select name, then paste into your message using COMMAND-V. This will paste just the filename rather than attaching the file. However, you need to do this for each file. You cannot do it on a selected group of files.

Jan 30, 2011 11:05 AM in response to Eric Basir

Well, there may well be an Applescript somewhere. If you Google "applescript" you should find the one or two major sites for finding scripts you can download. Maybe someone has already done such a script. Alternatively, you can write an Applescript or see if you can do what you want using Automator to "replicate" what you now do and automate the operation once you provide a selection of files.

How to paste filenames without attaching them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.