Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually removing stored Wifi networks from iPad?

I have a rather interesting question:

As we all know, iPad will remember wireless networks we connect to by way of the settings app. Whenever those networks are in range, iPad will automatically connect to them. (This also applies to iPhone/iPod touch)

Suppose that you at some point logged into a network, using the settings panel, but you later wish to remove it from the list of saved networks (e.g. you're giving the iPad to a friend to use, giving it away, etc.)

So far, the only way I know of to do this is to be in range of the network in question, then select it in the settings panel and choose Forget This Network.

This to me represents a potential security risk. Suppose that you pair your iPad to a corporate work network. Later, you decide to loan out your iPad. All the person you loaned it to has to do is go in range of the office network (Which is heavily guarded by WPA2, we'll assume) and poof, they're in, because your iPad saved the network. Someone who is not authorized just penetrated a LAN.

Normally, you could simply remove that network from the remembered networks store prior to loaning. Mac, Windows and everything else seems to have a way to remove remembered networks manually. However, on the iPad (and any other iOS device) I can't find a way to get the device to forget a known network, unless I happen to be in range of that network at the time. Is there a way to do this?

FM

MacBook Pro 15"/i7/4GB/500GB/DVDRW, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 10:18 PM

68 replies

Jun 25, 2017 4:17 PM in response to Phil0124

At the risk of exposing me for the idiot that I am, and antagonizing everyone, I want to point out the obvious solution: for professionals, and not children/older casual users, and for people who actually depend on their machines - use a professional grade tool. One that runs a professional grade operating system.

(Someone said Android?)

Jun 25, 2017 4:26 PM in response to Jnoam

Jnoam wrote:

At the risk of exposing me for the idiot that I am, and antagonizing everyone, I want to point out the obvious solution: for professionals, and not children/older casual users, and for people who actually depend on their machines - use a professional grade tool. One that runs a professional grade operating system.

Good idea. That's exactly why I use an iPhone.

Mar 26, 2011 1:01 PM in response to Philly_Phan

My question is similar to the original one. The problem with Chris' solution is it wipes out ALL the remembered networks. What if I only want to wipe one or two, and I am not in range of those networks. E.g., I have to go to a business meeting this coming week. I will probably link to the conference center's wi-fi. Are you saying that forever and ever, my iPad will remember that network, that it will be cluttering up the iPad's memory, and there is nothing I can do about it, short of eliminating ALL my networks and starting over again? This seems to me to be a very huge blunder on the Apple iPad programmers part if that is the case.

Mar 26, 2011 4:15 PM in response to Camping Doc

Camping Doc wrote:
My question is similar to the original one. The problem with Chris' solution is it wipes out ALL the remembered networks. What if I only want to wipe one or two, and I am not in range of those networks. E.g., I have to go to a business meeting this coming week. I will probably link to the conference center's wi-fi. Are you saying that forever and ever, my iPad will remember that network, that it will be cluttering up the iPad's memory, and there is nothing I can do about it, short of eliminating ALL my networks and starting over again? This seems to me to be a very huge blunder on the Apple iPad programmers part if that is the case.

Yes, you can only remove a single network when you are within range of it.

If you would like a new capability added submit a suggestion to Apple at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Dec 7, 2011 3:24 AM in response to Flint Million

I have had a similar problem. After staying in a Hotel for a few days and half registering for their wireless network, I was unable to sign into the App Store or my account from both my iPad and my iPhone. Safari just worked, Opera was better.

My account was OK from my PC and other iPhones worked from home, just not my devices.

I tried resetting, not restoring, etc but nothing worked, After reading this note I gave it a try and Hey Presto I have my account back, but I have lost all my stored wirelss accounts, not just the errant one.

I have registered a request with Apple to allow the listing and editting of wireless accounts - just off to hold my breath 8-)

Cheers

Feb 21, 2012 3:22 PM in response to Flint Million

one thing everyone probably doesn't realise is that not only does your iPad remember the networks it's previously been connected to, but it actually actively searches for them, effectively advertising to the world where you've been.

For example, my iPad actively probes for:

• My last name (from using a family members WiFi, named such)
  • A hotel in Singapore (where I'm often on business)
  • My home wifi AP name
  • Two cafe's I'm regularly at
  • My office AP name
  • My cellphones mobile AP name
  • and a few other random ones....

So, the only solution is to completely wipe my iPad every wee while? great...

Jun 1, 2012 3:18 PM in response to Flint Million

I had the same need, but for a different reason. I logged into my office wireless network from my iPad, and it memorized my pin. The problem is that my pin comes from an RSA token and changes every minute. So now when ever my iPad is in range of my office network, it tries to log in continuously until my login is deactivated automatically for failing to use the correct password.

I had to reset all network settings as Chris suggested above, but this is a huge pain in the arse. Now I also have to reregister all the other wireless networks I was using before... =(

Oct 8, 2012 3:12 PM in response to dj0

But that is what makes this "feature" so great. When a user adds an open wifi connection then can't remove it and they are ripe for attacks like karma. Stolen credentials, modified web content, and all matter of mischief to be had. The obvious solution is to wipe your device every time you use it. With my sarcasm out of the way; is wiping the only solution that has been found? I have been using airbase-ng to tell my devices that the APs are in range so they can be removed, there has to be a better way.

Manually removing stored Wifi networks from iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.