Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with expansion RAM iMac G5 iSight

I just bought a new iMac G5 (iSight) - w/ 512 MB RAM built in. I bought an additional 512 MB RAM from the apple store and tried to install it as decscribed in the manual. tried to do it 3 times but each time it has failed to recogize the extra RAM. it always displays 512 MB (standard) and it always identifies the exansion slot as "empty".

Does anyoe have an idea of how hard you need press to install the RAM and how loud is this "click" sound should be ? When I did it, I didnt really hear a very distinct click sound, nor did it seem to be a very TIGHT fit into the slot...it appeared to be a 'loose' but secure fit. Is this normal ? Or do you have to exert a considerable level of pressure to fit it securely and hear the "click"?? I was wary of doing so for fear it would damage my machine.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Many thanks
N

iMac G5 iSight 17" Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 18, 2005 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2005 8:47 AM

You have to really shove it waaay in there. It doesn't click, but it takes a lot of pressure to get it all the way in.

EDIT You also need to check both sides of the RAM. It's possible for one side to seat and the other not be in quite far enough.
2 replies

Problems with expansion RAM iMac G5 iSight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.