Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open CD/DVD tray if the MacPro won't boot

Just a few days ago I updated my version Safari on a MacPro. After the upgrade, my computer, I got a message on the reboot that said that it cannot read the disks I inserted. Since then, I can't get the machine to start at all. I'd like to boot it up from a CD/DVD (Drive Genius) but can't figure out how to get the tray to open to let me insert it. (1) Has anyone had such issues with updating Safari? (2) How can I get the tray to open if I can't get the machine to boot up to start with? (I've tried rebooting and holding down the "c" key. I've tried "target disk" mode but that doesn't get me anywhere.) (I think it may have 10.5.8 OSX and two internal drives.)

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2 x 2.66 GHz; 2 GB RAM

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 2:08 PM

Five ways to eject a stuck CD or DVD from the optical drive

Ejecting the stuck disc can usually be done in one of the following ways:

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the left mouse button until the disc ejects.

2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.

3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.

4. Press COMMAND-E.

5. If none of the above work try this:
Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following:
/usr/bin/drutil eject

If this fails then try this:
Boot the computer into single-user mode. At the prompt enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2011 2:08 PM in response to wve Rich

Five ways to eject a stuck CD or DVD from the optical drive

Ejecting the stuck disc can usually be done in one of the following ways:

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the left mouse button until the disc ejects.

2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.

3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.

4. Press COMMAND-E.

5. If none of the above work try this:
Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following:
/usr/bin/drutil eject

If this fails then try this:
Boot the computer into single-user mode. At the prompt enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.

Jan 31, 2011 2:48 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for these suggestions. However, none of them work. Keep in mind that I CANNOT BOOT the computer in any mode that I know of. It's not recognizing either of the two internal disk drives. My situation is not that I have a "stuck" disk that I need to eject; I need to open a CD/DVD tray so I can insert a bootable disk to check things out on the system.

Aug 11, 2011 6:52 AM in response to wve Rich

I was just having a problem getting a DiskWarrior CD to eject on restart. MacPro wouldn't start in single user mode, holding down the eject key on startup, option on startup, left mouse button... What did work was unplugging my keyboard from my Cinema Display and plugging it directly into the MacPro. Normal startup options were then available.

How to open CD/DVD tray if the MacPro won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.