Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to insert a vertical line next to selected text?

I want to insert a vertical line to the left of a paragraph within a text box so that it looks like quoted text in an email. I know it's possible because I've done it before but I cannot remember how I did it. I know that I used a text box but I have been struggling with how to insert a line next to the text. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 1:58 PM

13 replies

Jan 31, 2011 3:41 PM in response to mizzlara

I'm not trying to be condescending, just I appreciate posters trying all suggestions plus anything else to hand. Also it is really great if we get clear, accurate responses so we can determine what you are really doing or trying.

That's what +we have to do+ here to find out what is going on.

"Seeing as I have tried just about everything" can't be true because I've tried 3 methods which work.

For example I can not find how you can not grab and move points or rotate the line. Even if it is an inline object it still works.

You never responded to the suggestion of using the single table cell, so I can only assume you ignored that.

There is no doubt that Pages does not have the exact same method as Word to do this but there are work arounds.

Peter

Jan 31, 2011 2:44 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks for the suggestions but not quite what I'm looking for. If I could post a picture I would, but I was able to did this about a year ago (when working on the same journal layout but sadly I do not have the original files). The vertical line is exactly inline with the text and spans down multiple lines. Using the character option doesn't work because it skips lines and using the Shapes option only gives a horizontal line and I can't get it to flip vertically when I insert it.

Jan 31, 2011 3:07 PM in response to Walt K

Thanks, Walt, but I tried that and for some strange reason it won't rotate it. The only way I was able to rotate it was by changing the degree of the angle but when I do that the line shortens considerably and it won't allow me to increase the length so that it spans all the lines that are in the paragraph (i.e. The line will only span two lines when there are six lines in the paragraph).

Jan 31, 2011 3:16 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Seeing as I have tried just about everything, I am most definitely looking for solutions. Unfortunately the suggestions that I have received are not the solution. Grabbing the end and pulling it around was one of the first things I tried and the pen tool was not suggested. I'll try that but there's no need to be condescending, this is for a journal publication and I need it to look exactly the same so that means I need to look for the exact solution. Thanks.

Jan 31, 2011 3:54 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter, to post a mock quote that I ignored the cell suggestion "because it just might work" is entirely condescending and not only is that condescending but you went out of your way to do exactly that. I did not intentionally ignore the cell suggestion, I just missed that suggestion when reading the post. I tried to be as clear and as accurate as possible but seeing as I am someone who is still learning all the functions of Pages, I can only explain so far as to what I am doing and there are many limitations to explaining things in a discussion board. I never mentioned Word, I did this in Pages last year and I am trying my best to replicate what I did for this year.

The cell suggestion was in fact the best option and I had tried it previously but I could not figure out how to center it, which I have now figured out how to do. So thank you for your help, but understand that sometimes people are not purposely being obtuse before making a snap judgment.

Jan 6, 2014 10:35 AM in response to mizzlara

I know this is > 2 years old, but I had the same question, and found an easy way to do it:

Select the paragraph, and in the tool bar (between shift indent and highlight) click the boarder button. Choose the side or sides you want to add the line to. This is great because it will work with styles, too, and will automatically be the right length every time.

How to insert a vertical line next to selected text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.