Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address Book: How do you select, copy and paste info to an email?

I look up a contact in my Mac Address Book and want to cut and paste email/address and phone into an email I am writing in another application - in this case using AOL online.

It seems that you cannot select and paste the information or selected parts of it from the Address Book to the email using the usual key commands to select/copy/paste text?

It is as if you are trying to copy from a photo... am I the only one to find this a completely mindless limitation of the Address Book?

Or is there something obvious I am missing?

thanks in advance

MS

Mac Pro1,1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 3GHz 5GB RAM + L9 + Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mac OS X (10.5.8), MacBookPro OS X (10.6.3) 2.66 + M Audio Fast Track Ultra

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 4:00 PM

That feature was available pre-Snow Leopard. However, all the programs were re-written for Snow Leopard and a few things didn't seem to make the cut. Nobody here knows whether the feature will reappear one day, nor can we speculate on its reappearance.
However, you can create an Automator Service that will copy the selected card's info to the clipboard.
Open Automator and select Service as the type of workflow.
Set it to receive no input from Address Book.
Click on the Contacts item in the Library and drag over the Get Selected Address Book Items action. Set it for People.
Then, drag in a Get Contact Information action. Set it for the general information you'd like to copy. If you want it to ask for the info, click on Options at the bottom of the Action and set it to show this action when workflow runs.
Click on Utilities in the Library and drag in a Copy to Clipboard action.
Save the workflow and open Keyboard System Preferences. Find your service and create a shortcut for it. Now, in address Book, with a contact selected, Go to the Address Book menu, Services, and select your service. After selecting it once from the services menu, it will respond the the shortcut.
21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2011 4:00 PM in response to musicspirit

That feature was available pre-Snow Leopard. However, all the programs were re-written for Snow Leopard and a few things didn't seem to make the cut. Nobody here knows whether the feature will reappear one day, nor can we speculate on its reappearance.
However, you can create an Automator Service that will copy the selected card's info to the clipboard.
Open Automator and select Service as the type of workflow.
Set it to receive no input from Address Book.
Click on the Contacts item in the Library and drag over the Get Selected Address Book Items action. Set it for People.
Then, drag in a Get Contact Information action. Set it for the general information you'd like to copy. If you want it to ask for the info, click on Options at the bottom of the Action and set it to show this action when workflow runs.
Click on Utilities in the Library and drag in a Copy to Clipboard action.
Save the workflow and open Keyboard System Preferences. Find your service and create a shortcut for it. Now, in address Book, with a contact selected, Go to the Address Book menu, Services, and select your service. After selecting it once from the services menu, it will respond the the shortcut.

Jan 31, 2011 4:10 PM in response to Barney-15E

Of course you can copy from AB to Mail! I've just done it.

Drag over the info you want to copy to highlight it, use the usual copy command, go to Mail and paste into your email.

If you want all the info for the contact just drag the contact's name from the AB window into the message part of Mail and a vCard will be created in your email.

Have I missed something in the posts?

Perhaps AOL doesn't allow pasting into an email.

Neville

Message was edited by: Neville Mayfield

Jan 31, 2011 4:45 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney, you're right about not being able to select multiple fields in the copy & paste. Address & phone number would be at least 2 copy & paste's.

The vCard of course can include all information in one move.

I'm sure it would not be difficult for Apple's software engineers to allow multiple cmd-select items to be copied in one basic step or in fact drag-select over multiple fields too. Do you know whether this has been requested through the appropriate channels?

Neville

Feb 1, 2011 7:26 AM in response to Barney-15E

thanks Barney for your painstaking explanation - this is an amazing and challenging piece of advanced programming for a technologically challenged Mac citizen like me, but I did try it and after 15' I got to the point where I opened the Address Book selected the short cut and tried to paste it to Text Edit as an experiment... but it did not work.

I think I need to get into this whole Automation thing more but have never even gone there in over 10 years of using a Mac.

Am sure it is very useful for doing mundane repetitive tasks together - is there a QT movie available of this somewhere?

But just to clarify at the end: I ought to use my Short cut to select and copy the Address book info to clipboard and then Control V into any document as text... is that the objective?

Thanks for your help

best

Music Spirit

Mar 29, 2012 2:16 PM in response to musicspirit

This worked fine on all OS's prior to Snow Leopard (to which I've just upgraded) and now this basic functionality was lost. I frequently send vCards as attachments but sometimes you just need some of the text (but multiple fields) to be able to paste somewhere.

I'm amazed this isn't a basic feature kept by Address Book now on Lion.

mdp

Apr 5, 2012 1:47 PM in response to mdp123

This is insane! I switched to Mac a few years ago (still use XP/Win7/Linux at work) and generally like it. However, I keep running into these idiotic and arbitratry limitations! I want to create a bunch of address cards for people I work with. Everthing is the same except phone extension, name, and email. There's no way to copy/duplicate contacts in Mac Address Book or on my iPhone. And, like many similar issues, if I dare to ask about it at an "Expert Bar", I'll first get a look of confusion and when I finally get the person to understand, I'll just get the useless response of "that's how it works". No ideas for work-arounds. No reporting to Apple development. Just the attitude of "why would anyone want to do anything it doesn't already do?"

It's great having all the Apple stores around here and being able to ask (simple) questions, but they're really not able to deal with much more than older folks who just bought a Mac and don't know how to use a computer at all. If you've been using dozens of computers and operating systems for 20+ years, they don't want to talk to you.

David

Sep 18, 2015 1:55 PM in response to bcvc71

I just tried this but it doesn't work .. for me that is. I set the instructions out thus:

1 - Open Automator and select Service as the type of workflow

2 - Set it to receive no input from [ Address Book] now called Contacts [?]

3 - Click on the Contacts item in the Library and drag over the Get Selected [Contact] Items action.

4 - Set it for People.

5 - Then, drag in a Get Contact Information action.

6 - Set it for the general information you'd like to copy.

7 - If you want it to ask for the info, click on Options at the bottom of the Action and set it to show this action when workflow runs.

8 - Click on Utilities in the Library and drag in a Copy to Clipboard action.

9 - Save the workflow and open Keyboard System Preferences.

10 - Find your service and create a shortcut for it [ There was a short cut for 'Copy Mail Addresses to Clip Board' Option Command C]

[ I created my own short cut Option Command G called ' GET CONTACT INFO'

11 - Now, in address Book, with a contact selected, Go to the Address Book menu, Services, and select your service.

12 - After selecting it once from the services menu, it will respond the the shortcut.

In SERVICES in Contacts both key commands above do appear

.. So you select a contact .. it is highlighted in light blue and the Contact info appears next to you on the RIght hand page

Execute the short cut.. OPTION COMMAND C - open text edit .. Command V paste: nothing happens

Execute the short cut OPTION COMMAND G - open text edit - Command V paste:nothing happens

Uncheck GET CONTACT INFO from Key Shortcuts: only 'Copy Mail Addresses to Clip Board' appears in Contact Services = nothing works

Uncheck 'Copy Mail Addresses.. " and re-instate GET CONTACT INFO - Open Contacts - Select a Contact - OPTION COMMAND G - open text edit - Command V paste:nothing happens

… *** 😉 ...

Any suggestions ( am on OSX 10.8.5)

Interesting to note that since my initial post in Jan 2011 there is perhaps this programmed Key Command "Copy Mail Addresses to Clip Board" in the Keyboard Shortcuts Default … but it doesn't seem to work (OPTION COMMAND G) …

Still have to put contacts in edit mode and select copy paste each box in a persons contact info … after all these years - I hope I am not understanding something and that it does actually work

Address Book: How do you select, copy and paste info to an email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.