Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete apps

I can't delete downloaded apps on the iPad.
When I hold the apps to start the wiggle they do wiggle. But the x does not appear.

I have restarted and reset the iPad. The x does not appear. This used to work.

The problem started when I downloaded some magazines and then wanted to delete them.
At first I thought it was because the apps might be running.
So I doubled tapped the home button to get to the running apps and they did not have any - in order to quit them. At least resetting the iPad brought back the - and I was able to quit the running apps.

I am not able to access my Mac now to delete from iTunes by syncing.
But if I were able to delete them from my Mac would that restore the ability to delete from the iPad?

MBP 15 CD, MBP C2D 17, 17 Uni; TiBook, G4 MP500; iMac Grape, Orange,, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 60G iPodPhoto,4Gnano,8GiPhone, 32GiPhone3GS,32GiPhone4 1Gshuffle, 2TTime Capsule

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 10:19 AM

Have you tried, Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings?
17 replies

Feb 1, 2011 10:11 PM in response to Judy

One would think that if you had enabled application restrictions that you would remember it. However, restricting application deletion does NOT restrict terminating applications in the "recently used" tray so, if you couldn't terminate applications, this is inconsistent with simply having enabled restrictions being the cause of your problem.

Feb 2, 2011 12:02 AM in response to JimHdk

🙂
When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it. ~Mark Twain

Sep 13, 2011 12:04 PM in response to Jasim.mohd

If you can't remember the restrictions passcode, and it was on the iPad when you last backed up, then you will need to restore the iPad back to factory defaults - restoring from a backup which also contains the passcode would keep/restore the passcode as well, so it would still be there after the restore. Alternatively you can try what is suggested on this post : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2667637?answerId=13131829022#13131829022

Nov 15, 2011 3:34 AM in response to JimHdk

@jimhdk your reply about "one would think ... you would remember it" is uncalled for. Unnecessarily snarky.

I'm looking at my iPod touch which has the same problem as Judy described. The reason I'm searching online for an answer is because I already checked the restrictions, and they are off. Yet, my apps wiggle without the remove "x" option.

I hope I will be able to find an answer with out having to Reset All Settings. And without anyone being snarky.

Jul 5, 2014 3:22 AM in response to Judy

If you want to delete apps with restritions on then first connect your idevice to mac or windows and open itunes. After opening itunes under your device go to apps and at your right side in homepage u can place your cursor on app and delete your app by clicking (X) button in left side of app corner.With this you can delete your apps without reseting it.

Can't delete apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.