Skip navigation

iSight's color is off and has a horrible white-balance

2938 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 9:55 AM by EZ Jim RSS
Doug_S Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 1, 2011 12:49 PM
Basically, is there some super secret ninja way of calibrating an iSight? I seem to remember there being one but I've checked Skype, iChat, Photo Booth and looked for a system preference but nothing pops up.

It seems the only way I can get it to balance properly is to hold up a white card when I'm using it. It doesn't help with the color issues but my walls are a kind of dark red so I'm guessing it's trying to compensate for that.

I know there's iGlasses by Ecamm and I've been considering that as an option. Has anyone used this?
27" iMac11,3, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Intel Core i7 2.93Ghz / 12GB RAM / 1TB HDD / ATI 5750HD @ 1GB VRAM
  • EZ Jim Level 7 Level 7 (21,260 points)
    Doug_S wrote:
    Basically, is there some super secret ninja way of calibrating an iSight?

No. There is nothing ninja about iSight.

I seem to remember there being one but I've checked Skype, iChat, Photo Booth and looked for a system preference but nothing pops up.

The software that you use with your iSight controls it, and iSight's parameters are adjusted automatically by each app to optimize its performance for the intended purpose of that individual app.

There are no system preferences that control or adjust iSight.

It seems the only way I can get it to balance properly is to hold up a white card when I'm using it. It doesn't help with the color issues but my walls are a kind of dark red so I'm guessing it's trying to compensate for that.

You are on the right track. The automatic adjustments made by the apps you are using are apparently compensating for the ambient light in your work area.

As explained in this article, use a good (as bright as possible) light source in a well-lit room:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3097

The best images your iSight can provide will be in full sunlight, so keep everything as bright and daylight colored as possible unless you are trying for some special effects or unusual color.

Changing your Desktop picture to a more neutral color and adjusting your display's brightness might also be worth trying.

I know there's iGlasses by Ecamm and I've been considering that as an option. Has anyone used this?

I have never had need of iGlasses, but many people have used it. If you need the manual control it offers and if you follow the simple directions on how to use it, it is an excellent product well worth its reasonable price.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.6); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.6)
    LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod4touch4.2.1
  • EZ Jim Level 7 Level 7 (21,260 points)
    Doug_S wrote:
    That's kind of what I figured but I was hoping I was wrong. Oh well, $10 isn't too bad if I'm going to be looking at using it a lot more.

Thanks for the info!

You're most welcome, Doug.

I have always been able to get my color balance right by using a *neutral gray desktop* and experimenting a bit with room light. I found that lots of *one kind of light* (do not mix tungsten with fluorescent, etc.) works for me. Apple software is remarkably good about automatically adjusting white balance if you do not bathe yourself in off-colored light or use light sources of more than one color. No camera can automatically balance multiple light sources reliably. However, users who want a highly-colored desktop picture or are not allowed to adjust the lighting in their work areas may need the control iGlasses offers. If that describes you, too, I think you have a good plan.

Thanks for letting us know, and for the stars, too!

EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.6); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.6)
    LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod4touch4.2.1

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.