Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost iPod 'repaired' by someone else

I lost my iPod a couple of weeks ago. Today I just got an email from AppleCare asking me to rate the recent repair of my iPod. So I guess someone found my iPod and took it into an Apple store to get the password reset so they could use it, and they entered the serial number as part of the repair process which triggered the email. I guess they don't check the ID of the person who found it and kept it though.

So I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about this? I have the serial number of the device. Is there some way I can follow up on this? If it could be flagged in a database somewhere, then at least if it is brought in again it could be held? Is there a way to do that immediately next time in case this happens again? And who should I attempt to contact at Apple to follow up on this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 9:03 PM

4 replies

Feb 1, 2011 10:47 PM in response to mark_pn

I would call Apple CUstomer Relations and explain it to them. They may be able to get the name and address of the person that had it repaired and track it down. Contact your local police too and report it.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file
Check out the new remodeled MacOSG website! 24-hour Apple-related news & support.
 MacOSG: An Apple User Group  iTunes: MacOSG Podcast  Follow us on Twitter: MacOSG

Feb 2, 2011 8:31 AM in response to mark_pn

You will need to contact your local police and have them follow up with Apple. While you can call Apple, they probably can't help you directly. They cannot take your word for it since they have no way of knowing your iPod was actually stolen and that you're not just trying to cause trouble for someone to whom you gave or sold the iPod. Apple probably will, however, respond to a request from an authorized law enforcement agency.

Good luck.

Lost iPod 'repaired' by someone else

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.