Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choosing between ipad 32Gb and 64gb

I would like to buy an ipad + 3G but couldn't decide between 32gb vs 64gb. Can anybody guide me on which is better other than the price difference. I would use it as a book reader, reading on the internet, email, occasional movie, iphoto.

Thanks for your input.

imac g4 15 inch flat panel, imac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Mac OS X (10.6.5), mac os 10.5

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 10:52 AM

9 replies

Feb 2, 2011 11:04 AM in response to fosterm

ebooks don't take up much space - and books bought via iBooks can be copied onto your computer so they don't have to remain on the iPad, and Kindle ebooks are linked to your Amazon account so can be re-downloaded; I don't know about other ebook providers.

Movies, especially if HD, can take up 1 to 2 gigs each; but again you don't have to keep them on your iPad - you can keep them on your computer, and make backups of them (iTunes movies, TV shows and music can't be re-downloaded from iTunes so external backups are advised).

Photos are 'optimised' by iTunes prior to transfer onto the iPad so should take up less space than on your computer.

That said, 32 gig will probably be enough. But as you can't increase the capacity once bought, I'd go for the 64 gig if you can afford it - it's always best to have too much space than not enough.

Feb 3, 2011 12:56 PM in response to fosterm

32 gig wifi is my recommendation. I got the 16 gig and after loading some sizable apps, I was suddenly confronted with deleting stuff that I wanted on the go. Dang it. So we bought a 32 gig and my wife uses it. She filled it up with videos from TED conferences (podcasts) and is happy as a clam. No need for 64 gig in our family but if you do the math on the cost per gig, 64 gig is the cheapest.

A buddy spent over $1000 on his first ipad - bought it all including cases, covers, 3g, 64gig, keyboards, extra docks, camera connector, etc. Got a lot of useful thing for portable computing and is sitting on about 40 gig of data.

Feb 3, 2011 9:16 PM in response to fosterm

Wow! Your replies are very much appreciated. I was thinking of giving it as gift for my husband who is technically challenged but loves to read stuff and travels quite a bit. I don't think he'll be delving into eccentric stuff. I'm leaning now on the 32 but for $100 more I would get quite a lot more for the $. Decisions...

I hope he doesn't drop it or loose it somewhere.

Feb 3, 2011 9:36 PM in response to fosterm

I would probably stick with the 16 or 32 gb. I find that most of my iPad use is for Internet stuff but if you are the kind of person who loads lots of pics, music, and video then maybe a bigger one is justifiable. I don't like the idea of spending a lot of money on an iPad right now since the iPad 2 will be out in the next couple of months.

Feb 4, 2011 7:09 PM in response to fosterm

Make sure to download the free app - Find my iPhone. It works for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. You can set it up on the iPad, activate a free MobileMe account in order to use it, and have some peace of mind if you are worried that he may misplace or lose his iPad.

From what you say, I think a 32GB would be sufficient. Unless you plan on storing lots and lots of music, photos and videos, you should be fine with the 32GB. Videos - movies specifically can take up 2,3 or more GB each. The other space consuming consideration would be for games. Some games take up a fair amount of space on the iPad - 500MB - 700MB or more. If he is not a gamer, then no worries.

BTW, absolutely nobody on these discussion sites has any idea if and when the next great Apple product of any type may or will be available so an iPad 2???

Choosing between ipad 32Gb and 64gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.