Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 141 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2015 5:37 PM by Bitdust Go to original post
  • DaveLord Level 1 Level 1
    Try cleaning the battery contacts.
    This just happened to me.
    When I took the batteries out there was a very thin film of oxidation covering the battery contacts. I scraped it off gently with a scalpel blade, and now everything works just fine.
  • reggiepdavison Level 1 Level 1

    Thank you for posting this.


    My mouse "died" the other day with the same symptoms as reported by others.  Just stopped working, no green light, changing batteries had no effect.  I took it to the apple store and the "genius" there tried turning it on, and off and on again, shrugged his sholders and said "Did you purchase apple care?".  I held my breath  (I wanted to tell him to kindly **** off but didn't.).


    Anyway, I went out and bought a Logictech USB mouse (which works great BTW) but then found this post.  I tried your instructions (SHIFT, CONTROL, OPTION and POWER) and voila, it came back to life!!!


    Thank you.  I still hate that fxxxin' mouse but I'm glad it's working again.  I just don't feel as ripped off anymore. 

  • rxaviers Level 1 Level 1

    Yes! It also worked for me.

  • joanne0878 Level 1 Level 1

    I had the same problem ended putting the old batteries back in which got the power on seems not to like Duracell try energiser instead seem to work for me.

  • maxamundo Level 1 Level 1

    weird. same problem as you. normally I would try cleaning contacts, but Ive only had the mouse for 6 weeks and would not expect this to happen so quickly, but it does!?

  • Phuphan Level 1 Level 1

    This may help someone?   My wireless mouse just died.  Batteries were dead.  Replaced with fresh Rayovac batteries, but the mouse was still dead.  Read the replies to this thread and followed the recommended fix, still dead.  Thought it might be dirty contacts and noticed that the positive contacts of the mouse were recessed.  In other words, the positive contact protruding from the battery has to extend into a hole on the mouse to dock with the positive contact of the mouse.  Compared the length of the positive protrusion on the Rayovacs with that of either Durocell or Energizers I had at home and found that the contact of the Rayovac was distinctly shorter.  Put in Energizers or Duracells and the mouse works, put in fresh Rayovacs and it stays dead.


    So, it may be that not every brand of battery is going to make satisfactory contact with the recessed positive terminal of the mouse due to brand to brand variations in the length of the protrusion of the positive contact of the battery.


    Hope this saves someone from needlessly buying a new mouse?

  • scarletwine Level 1 Level 1

    The positive contacts must be very sensitive. I couldn't get a green light with fresh batteries. I couldn't see any corrosion or buildup, but I swabbed them out anyway, then replaced the batteries and got power back. 

  • Busterhyman1 Level 1 Level 1

    Thanks for the suggestion,

    I had tried the rayovacs in my trackpad and wouldn't ya know it was a bit shorter, because after installing the other spare Duracell batteries in its now working.

  • sajidfromdxb Level 1 Level 1

    Believe it or not guys, this is what worked for me: been trying new duracell 1.5v alkaline batteries, tried many sets, didnt work. Then switched to Energizer Advanced 1.5V AA Battery, & voila it worked like a charm. I know unbelievable but just got it to work.

  • Phuphan Level 1 Level 1

    Not bad for a 70 year old man.  Looks like Apple designed the positive terminals to be recessed so if old folks like me put the batteries in backwards no damage would occur to the device .  Probably never checked the universe of battery brands to see if all were sized exactly the same?  Glad I could help!

  • Status P Level 1 Level 1

    Has anyone solved this problem? I have a suddenly dead magic mouse myself. Tried new batteries, no gree nlight, dead as a doornail, ***?

  • Status P Level 1 Level 1

    I swabbed contact points inside magic mouse, problem soved. It now works again. Thank-you

  • jessybeats Level 1 Level 1

    this is exactly right. i was certain that it was a battery or wiring problem, but your tip fixed the problem instantly. thanks IB Retired! (for those needing help, see previous post on SHIFT, CONTROL, OPTION and POWER BUTTON)

  • cwbrandt2 Level 1 Level 1

    what am I missing? I can't figure out how to "Move pointer over Bluetooth icon on menu at top right." when the mouse doesn't light up or work at all.

  • Nick Lightbody Level 1 Level 1

    Thank you very much IB Retired - I followed your instructions exactly and "lo and behold" my Mouse is now Magic again!


    Much appreciated that you shared your knowledge.



Previous 1 2 3 4 Next