Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac 17 inch G4 Won't Start....Smells Like Something Burning

My sister was using my iMac. She said the mouse or something sparked, then the computer turned off and started to smell like burning. When I plug it in, it makes like a fast ticking sound and wont' start up at all. After being plugged in for just a short time, it begins to smell like something burning. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be and how to repair it? Thanks

iMac G4 1 GHz, Powerbook G3 Pismo, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 7:43 PM

9 replies

Feb 6, 2011 9:44 PM in response to Saxinthecity

There's no way for us to know what is making the burning smell. We are not there and can't see it, smell it, or open up your Mac and diagnose it. It could be the power supply, the logic board, display or anything in there.

An Apple Repair Tech is needed at this point. It's hardware related and we can't help you with that here.

Good Luck!

Dale

Feb 7, 2011 10:37 AM in response to Dale Weisshaar

I got more details from my sister. She said she was using the computer when she heard a crackling sound. Then the computer turned off and started to smell like burning. When I plug it in and turn it on, I hear a fast ticking sound and start smelling the burnt smell. Computer won't start up. If anyone has had a similar problem and was able to repair their computer, please let me know what it was that was the problem. Thanks again. 🙂

IMac 17 inch G4 Won't Start....Smells Like Something Burning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.