Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" Mid 2010 Mini-Displayport IN

Getting a little frustrated with this. I'm trying to set my iMac up as a display for my PS3, I read that the Mini-Displayport is also an input on the iMac, and all you have to do is go into "Target Disk Mode" (CMD+F2). So I set up the connection, set the PS3 to output HDMI, and the iMac neither recognizes the input (no blue screen) and I can't switch into target disk mode. This was a cable recommended to me by an Apple Store employee. Any help would be appreciated. Cable –– http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?cid=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&pid=5997&seq=1&format=2#description

MacBook+iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), +Bootcamp Windows 7 x64

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 1:44 PM

3 replies

Feb 4, 2011 3:50 PM in response to Evanjs

Monoprice is proud to be among the first to offer a direct connect solution for connecting your Mac to your HDMI equipped HDTV.

Unfortunately that Apple employee is an embarrassment to Apple. They have no idea about which they are recommending to Apple's customers. That cable is uni-directional. It only works in the direction of mini-DisplayPort to HDMI. It is useful to attach a display or projector with HDMI input ports to a device that outputs through a mini-DisplayPort, such as your iMac.

To use the iMac as a display for the PS3 you will need a converter to convert the PS3's HDMI video signal to m-DP video signaling. Those currently sell around US$150.00 by developers such as Atlona and Kanex. They are also restricted to a video resolution of 720p.

If you want full 1080p resolution Atlona sells an HDMI to m-DP video scaler for around US$280.00.

User uploaded file
Dah•veed

User uploaded file

iMac 27" Mid 2010 Mini-Displayport IN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.