Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail & Exchange 2010, periodically hangs or stops receiving

Subject pretty much says it all. The weird thing is I can login with OWA or check on my iPhone and see new messages. Why would iPhone be able to download messages when Mail can't?

I have no problem with the connection on the machine running Mail. At the same time Mail won't download anything, I can open Safari, login to OWA, and see new messages.

iMac 27" Core i7 16GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.6), MBP 15" Core2 Duo 4GB, iPhone 4 32GB

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 4:32 PM

15 replies

Sep 20, 2011 11:10 AM in response to Brian Keefer

Same here, Mail v4.5 (1084) and Mac OS 10.6.8.

Even weirder, this is following my IT department upgrading from Exchange 2003 to 2010, and the old Exchange IMAP server account in mail is running fine. That is, I have two Mail.app accounts talking to the same underlying Exchange information, one via Exchange IMAP and one via the Exchange 2010 server, and only the one hangs. The other continues to work fine.

I note that Mail specifies it as "Exchange 2007". I'm hoping that upgrading to Lion when I get around to it will fix this.

Nov 4, 2011 9:37 AM in response to Brian Keefer

After having the same error ("opening mailbox - Requesting latest information" - hang) and fighting for months on my Mac (Lion) to solve it, including writing angry bug reports to Apple - I think I finally found the source of the problem:

There was an old (invalid) certificate installed in Exchange (2007, in my case), enabled for SMTP.

Nobody seems to care about this - including Snow Leopard Mail, Outlook and all iOS devices - but Lion Mail cared, and just stuck. Typically after some time - maybe sleep/wake or just a couple of hours - Mail was stuck and did not receive any new mails anymore, until I Force Quit it.

I got the hint from another forum (somebody suggested changing the properties in the locally installed certificates in Lion - but this was not the solution) and after seeing the question popping up once in Mail Preferences (do you want to trust this (old) certificate).

After removing the old certificate from Exchange (good luck with this admin user interface - no wonder we did not notice it) - everything works ok for me, already a day without any hangs.

Hope it helps! (Let us know the outcome...)

Apr 5, 2012 2:03 PM in response to Brian Keefer

I had the same problem, and was eventually able to "fix" it, in an unsatisfying way.

I noticed that I always got the "requesting updated information" message along with "moving messages" or "copying messages". Clicking the stop sign on the "requesting updated information" message sometimes got it un-stuck, but sometimes then left one or more mailboxes in an inconsistent state, which required me to do "Rebuild mailbox" frequently.

The solution? Disabling all of my auto-filing mail rules. It seems that the problem occurred when these rules were being triggered to move messages from my inbox to a local mail folder. I turned off the rules, and haven't had the problem since then. I can move messages by hand which does not cause the hanging problem.

This is unfortunate, since I really like being able to auto-file messages by project. I didn't have this problem with Snow Leopard.

May 15, 2012 10:38 AM in response to wkiri

hmmm... afraid the joy was a bit premature. The disabling of the rules *did* improve the situation - far less crashes, and I can get out of the hangs by clicking on the stop sign in the activity window next to the "requesting latest information" task.

But - it still hangs, now again several times a day.

Hope all these observations can help to find the bug.

Sep 9, 2012 3:13 AM in response to Achin Jain

Ditto.

We have just upgraded our servers from 2003 to 2010 in the last few months also and myself and another colleague are having this same issue. We are both on OS X 10.8 with all current updates.

But for us its only when we are external to the work network and accessing our email via the internet rather than the LAN. It works fine all day long on the LAN.

Does this behaviour match anyone elses?

Sep 9, 2012 5:00 AM in response to defecta

@Defecta : I had called up Apple Tech Support. They told me that Apple Mail does not support Outlook 2010 (over internet, my organization does not use Apple). However, the tech support guy did mention that turning off the "Auto Discover" option may help. Apple Mail performance for me has improved since then with fewer crashes.... But it is still not 100%

Sep 10, 2012 1:07 AM in response to Achin Jain

how disappointing. I was half expecting our new servers to just work with Apple Mail now that we have been upgraded. It turns out we are only a little better off than before. At least it works on the LAN I suppose.

I might have to revert to DAVMail if Exchange 2010 is so flaky. That, or find a solution to syncronising Apple Contacts with Outlook so peoples contacts show up in Outlook when addressing new emails.

BTW: turning off Autodiscovery seems to have helped a little. At least mail is coming through from Exchange now, even if it does take quite a while to do so. Its better than not at all.

May 8, 2015 9:57 AM in response to Brian Keefer

I'm also seeing this issue. I'm running Mail v8.2 (2098) on Yosemite 10.10.3. The hang has happened to me a number of times, and it seems that each time I force-quit (which I do send reports to Apple), it contains the following:

Process: Mail [43268]

Path: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail

Architecture: x86_64

Parent: launchd [1]

UID: 501

Sudden Term: Dirty

Task size: 44355 pages

Note: Unresponsive for 1112 seconds before sampling

Dispatch Thread Hard Limit Reached: 512 (too many dispatch threads blocked in synchronous operations)

Has anyone else seen this issue, or does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks.

Mail & Exchange 2010, periodically hangs or stops receiving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.