Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Fast!!

I JUST spilled wild cherry pepsi on the thing that connects the charger to my MacBook pro. Will it still work? Should I Replace it? Help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 5:38 PM

5 replies

Feb 4, 2011 5:56 PM in response to DerekBrackett

If you mean you spilled pepsi on your macBook Pro, shut it down and lay it keyboard down on a towel so the pepsi can drain out. Remove the battery. Do not put power to it. It will need to be disassembled and cleaned before you can safely use it again.

If you mean that you spilled pepsi on the tip of the power adaptor, clean it off as best you can. If the pepsi wicked inside, it will likely cause damage over time.

Please post back with a little more detail so we know where the spill actually went so we can give more detailed advice. It's safest not to put power to anything that's suffered a spill until the spill has been cleaned up if it can be, or parts have been replaced if it can't be.

Good luck!

Feb 4, 2011 6:22 PM in response to DerekBrackett

OK--that's better than on the Mac. If the Pepsi got sucked inside the power adaptor tip, it could eat away at the wiring over time, and eventually either short out or not deliver enough power. So the primary damage is to the power adaptor. The pins are spring loaded, so there is every reason to think that some of the Pepsi could have been drawn inside, and I know of no way to really clean it. Or to tell for sure if any Pepsi got inside of it. But if it were mine, I would tend to assume the worst.

Even if it seemed to work for a while, I'm not sure I would want to trust it to charge the Mac. It would be safest to replace it immediately on the theory that its days are numbered anyway. Not sure what a faulty adaptor tip would do to the Mac, but why take chances?

Good luck!

Help Fast!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.