Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my internal microphone quit working?

I had my IPOD touch 3G 60gig swapped out at the Apple Store for a failed headset jack.
The new unit I have does not recognize the internal mic when "Voice Memos" app is set to record.
"No microphone available" is the message.
How do I find out if there is even an internal mic in this version?
Currently running 4.2.1.
Is the firmware a factor?
Did apple give me a bum unit months ago?

Already tried reseting and restoring.
No help there.

HP, Windows XP Pro, 10.1.0.56

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 6:12 PM

8 replies

Feb 5, 2011 8:25 AM in response to SoundPro

When did you purchase your original iPod Touch? The iPod Touch 4g was introduced in September, 2010.

Only the iPod Touch 4G has a built-in microphone. If you really did have a iPod Touch 3G as you stated in your first post then it would not have had a built-in microphone.

If you have a 4G now then it will have also had a camera as well as a built-in microphone. Does what you have now have a camera? If so, it's a 4G otherwise it's a 3G or earlier model.

I don't think that Apple would have intentionally switched a 3G model for a 4G but if that happened go back and complain.

Go here to see the features of the various iPod Touch models: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch

Apple has information on determining iPod models here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353

Feb 5, 2011 1:02 PM in response to SoundPro

No built-in internal Mic on the 3rd generation iPod Touch models.

See the Specs here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP570

The best way I found to identify what generation of iPod Touch a person has is to have them look on the back of the iPod Touch for the model/part number...
Here are the numbers for the 2nd and 3rd generation iPod Touch models that do not have a built-in internal Mic.

iPod Touch 2nd generation - A1288

iPod Touch 3rd generation - A1318

Only the 4th generation iPod Touch has a built-in internal Mic...

Feb 5, 2011 2:52 PM in response to JimHdk

Next advisor please step up.

Yes it was but he wanted someone else to verify your accurate response.

I think we all have seen many things here.
Last week I saw someone state they had a 2nd generation iPod Touch with multitasking.
And now one that claims they had a built-in Mic on a 3rd generation.

Not sure how or why these show up but apparently these people honestly state they had those functions.
I assume these could have been prototypes and these people actually had those functions that aren't, or weren't, included on the retail models.
That would be the only explanation I can guess at.

In this case, his Mic didn't stop working that the title states.
His iPod Touch was exchanged for a different 3rd generation unit.
Now this replacement does not have a Mic which is correct. It should not have a built-in Mic...

Why did my internal microphone quit working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.