Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Stuck CD's in my Imac!

Can someone please help me with an idea of how to get the CD's out of my computer? My last option will be the apple store and if I cant get it out can someone tell me how much it would be for them to get it out or would I have to get a whole new computer?

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 11:03 PM

You might want to try this: shut it down, pick it up and gently turn it on its side (CD side down) and shake very gently. Although, having two in there makes it a difficult job even worse. If you can't get it out, make an appointment at your nearest Genius Bar; there shouldn't be much of a charge - unless having two CDs in there has damaged the drive.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2011 11:03 PM in response to brittani13

You might want to try this: shut it down, pick it up and gently turn it on its side (CD side down) and shake very gently. Although, having two in there makes it a difficult job even worse. If you can't get it out, make an appointment at your nearest Genius Bar; there shouldn't be much of a charge - unless having two CDs in there has damaged the drive.

May 22, 2015 11:26 AM in response to brittani13

Just for the record, My wife's ingenuity and few posts on the google, helped solve my problem. It helps to have more than one mind thinking on such problems. Anyway, here's our homemade solution:

1. Pick a thin large baker's knife or a regular kitchen knife (has to be longer). Don't worry it will not damage the internals of the iMac.

2. At the pointed end wrap a double-sided tape (preferably) around it

3. Start your iMac

4. You will hear the whirring sound of your iMac trying to spin your discs inside.

5. Wait for few seconds (after startup)

6. Insert your taped-knife inside about 5 cms (or less. never more).

7. Once the knife is inserted inside, press the eject button

8. You will see that the knife helps one of the Cds to slide out.

If it does not work the first time, you've got to promise to try this few times until you get the co-ordination right. It really worked for us after weeks of toil !!

Two Stuck CD's in my Imac!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.