Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic mouse doesn´t reconnect after batterie change

When the mouse stops working because of empty batteries and i change the batteries and turn the mouse on then nothing happens. The mouse LED is blinking i can click the mouse button but my Mac doesn´t reconnect to the mouse anymore. The only solution is to turn the Mac of using the power button 😟

Mac Mini 2.26 GhZ, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 1:44 AM

16 replies

Feb 19, 2017 2:59 AM in response to GerenArgyll

GerenArgyle

El deanio's post is 6 years old. It has nothing to do with El Capitan which you appear to have., though you don't quote that directly. Nor do we know what version of Magic mouse you are talking about.

Please create a new post explaining exactly what has happened and clarifying the product details. This is a good example of why tagging on to old threads and posts is not a good policy. I'll try to reply when I see it, though I can't guarantee that it will be today as I am supposed to go out in a short while.

Feb 19, 2017 4:18 AM in response to seventy one

seventy one,

Thank you for your response, I noticed how old the thread was only after posting. I'm in the middle of writing a dissertation and was in panic mode this morning. I have now located a usb mouse with which to access system preferences and I have re-paired my magic mouse so all is currently well in the Argyll household. Thank you anyway!

Feb 7, 2011 9:09 AM in response to ThisisRends

Try -

Open Bluetooth Preferences. A shortcut to the Bluetooth Prefs pane is in the Menu Bar towards the right hand side of the screen.

In the left hand window, select the Apple Wireless Mouse.

Beneath the same window there is a box with a small gear wheel icon. Open this and select 'Add to Favourites'.

It may be necessary to go into the Mouse Prefs Pane now and pair the device again. If you are lucky you may not need to do this.

The next, and subsequent, battery change turn on the mouse then open Bluetooth Prefs again, select Apple Wireless Mouse (if it isn't already selected), go to the gearwheel menu and choose 'Connect'. It won't necessarily do this automatically.

Mar 29, 2015 11:57 AM in response to annie fromlondon

Hello Annie,

The original post is 4 years old and would not receive the attention you may require. I suggest you make a new post in the Magic mouse forum. Fill in your profile to include the machine and OS you're using, the age of the equipment and the mouse itself if that is older / younger.

Then set out the problem and anything you have done to solve it.

I'll look out for it.

Jun 20, 2015 2:30 AM in response to kkuja

1. True. But it is clear who I was referring to.

2. There are many others and we do try to help as I did ... but tagging onto old threads is not the way to resolve many matters. Machines change (or are not identified); updates are applied; the answer to one person does not necessarily apply to another. Within a single thread all these options do nothing but confuse.

3. I see you, too, have failed to fill in your profile. An essential help for people looking at your answers or your questions.

Jun 20, 2015 3:33 AM in response to seventy one

Sorry if previous came out confrontational. That was not intented. My bad.

My profile was empty because my occupation etc doesn't affect my problem. Because you insisted it might be usefull to fill it, I took a closer look, and found the add product functionality which I had missed previously. (Also, it took few moments to find how to edit profile.) So thank you. I didn't know the product listing existed.

I think my solution to this problem will be buying an USB mouse (or maybe search the mighty mouse (usb). It also solves few other problems (like the interesting zoom problem with e.g. google maps.).

But anyway, sorry and thank you.

Jun 20, 2015 5:08 AM in response to kkuja

And thank you, too. That was a very thoughtful response. I like the USB mouse too but it does seem to attract a problem with the lens getting soiled, and bits of detritus in the gap between the two halves pf the mouse structure (can't think of a better way to describe it). That can be resolved as I have written about in the past.

Obocka's problem is typical of what is asked here. People (and this may not apply to Obocka) tend to buy unbranded or discounted batteries, largely because of cost. They do not heve a consistent size and that causes erratic behaviour because they simply do not fit properly. And there are many batteries on the market that are fakes. I always advise to buy branded batteries from a quality outlet. Energiser, Duracell or Eneloop. I am not too impressed with Apple batteries. And for the convenience, rechargeables preferably.

Google maps, incidentally, is still in the process of evolution. Indeed, many people here advise to severely limit Google apps or links to the minimum possible ... but that's another matter. If you have a question, do come back, preferably as part of a new question ... and that may encourage others to join in.

Magic mouse doesn´t reconnect after batterie change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.