Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There are purchased items on your iPhone that have not been transferred ...

I want to update the OS to V4.2 on my iPhone. I recently installed iTunes on a new PC and when I try run the OS Update I get this message:

"There are purchased items on the iPhone that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPhone. Are you sure you want to continue?

From iTunes, I have done a right click on the iPhone device and run "Transfer purchases" and "Backup". Running sync implies that it will erase my content on the iPhone so I am not sure what to do with that. What more do I need to do before I can install the OS Update?

iPhone 3GS, Windows 7, iTunes 10.

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 10:43 AM

If you by any chance have purchased items from more than one account, make sure to transfer in the items from each account.

If you have already done that, *and are sure that everything you need is in your iTunes library,* then you can ignore the warning and go ahead and sync your iPhone.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2011 10:43 AM in response to Dennis E

If you by any chance have purchased items from more than one account, make sure to transfer in the items from each account.

If you have already done that, *and are sure that everything you need is in your iTunes library,* then you can ignore the warning and go ahead and sync your iPhone.

Aug 5, 2011 1:04 PM in response to ed2345

That's new information, ed2345. Could be useful. The trouble is that I 'bought' the free User Guide for the iPhone 4 in two accounts. I can easily see iTunes/Store having conniptions when I try to transfer the same thing. You'd think the programmers would have noticed this issue by now.

I'll report back with a result, if I can find the thread.

Oct 19, 2011 11:15 PM in response to Dennis E

Why doesn't Apple fix this bug? This unfriendly message comes without any advice or help. It doesn't tell you what you need to do, nor does it contain a link to further information.

The person who came up with this message should be disciplined. And everyone who let this message get through should be disciplined.

Then Apple wouldn't make and maintain such crap software.

Nov 24, 2013 7:29 PM in response to gval1

Agree with everyone above. My wife and I spent twenty minutes stuck over the message, until I 'Binged' (I don't Google anymore!) and found this thread. All the message has to add is the line: Right click on the device and select transfer' That should be in the message: '"There are purchased items on the iPhone that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPhone. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Thanks for solving this for us!

Mar 12, 2014 10:32 PM in response to Dennis E

Hey there,

I'm glad everyone was able to get help with this, but nothing happens at all when I right click on the device. I've been searching and trying for hours to figure this out. It should not be this hard. Right click where? I do not have that option. I can only regular click on my iPhone and go into the regular iPhone tabs.

I have uploaded a screenshot. If I attempt to right click on the "iphone" in the top right, as I said, nothing at all happens.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Sincerely

C

User uploaded file

Mar 12, 2014 10:37 PM in response to PlaceNarration

Ok folks, I found my answer, so I thought I would post for others who have this problem.

Apparently my side bar was hidden. You can only right-click on the items in the side-bar (not the "iPhone" option in the top right of your iTunes window). To get your side-bar turned on, simply go to "view" and "show sidebar." THEN you can right-click and transfer purchases.

Very lame the Apple message doesn't simply tell you how to solve the problem.

Cheers,

C

There are purchased items on your iPhone that have not been transferred ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.