Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access email

Having some trouble migrating my old mail server to new Mac Mini Server. I've had all MX records in place and working for years. In the firewall, I have SMTP and SMTPS ports open and forwarded to the server as well as IMAPS. (Do I need IMAP open also?)

I have a local user that I configured email for. (Took me a while to find the Local Directory in Workgroup Manager for enabling email for local users.) I also set the access lists for mail service in Server Admin to allow all users and groups so I can send email to the user account just fine.

I also have both IMAP and POP enabled for the local user account in WGM. I opened up authentication in Server Admin to allow LOGIN and Plain authentication. (Aside: Need to figure out how to enable Kerberos and CRAM-MD5 authentication.) SSL is also enabled for all services/ports.

Whenever I try to access the account through an iPhone or Mac Mail, the clients say: "user name or password is incorrect". The mail access log shows:

Feb 5 12:37:48 myhost dovecot[55735]: auth(default): od(myacct,67.166.17.211): mail account for: myacct is not enabled
Feb 5 12:37:48 myhost dovecot[55735]: auth(default): od(myacct,67.166.17.211): user account: myacct not enabled for mail

I thought I had covered all my bases. What have I missed?

MacBook Pro, Mac Mini Server, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 11:58 AM

3 replies

Can't access email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.