Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ScreenSaverEngine Error Message

I have the bottom-left Active Screen Corner on my iMac to Start Screen Saver when I move the pointer into it.

The problem is, when I do that, an error message pops up saying:

You are opening the application "ScreenSaverEngine" for the first time. Are you sure you want to open this application? This application is in a folder named "Resources." To see the application in the Finder without opening it, click Show Application.

User uploaded file

When I click Open nothing happens. When I click Open again, the error message goes again. But the screensaver never starts.

Anyone know what's going on?

Message was edited by: Reuben Feffer

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010), 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone 3GS (16GB), Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 1:03 PM

7 replies

Nov 16, 2013 1:21 PM in response to toolshed51

I realize this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem and I found the following answer in an archived discussion. The problem is, I am not quite sure how to use Terminal and I tried following the instructions but couldn't figure it out. Any help out there?

AliGator35

This solved my questionRe: ScreenSaverEngine first time open alert

6 oct. 2009 13:53 (in response to Richard Collyer1)

Got the same problem here.
Seems I got rid of it by updating my LaunchServices database :

1) Open the Terminal, and log in with an admin account (by using su and/or sudo for example) if your current OSX account does not have admin privileges.

2) Go to the LaunchServices.framework' Support directory :
*cd /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fra mework/Support*
+(Note: in previous OSX versions, it was a subframework of ApplicationServices and not CoreServices, the path has changed since)+

3) Use the "lsregister" commande line tool found in this directory to do a rescan/rebuild of your LaunchServices database. You can e.g. update your whole database with this command :
*./lsregister -r -apps local,system,user*
+(Or you can specify the path to the ScreenSaverEngine.app itself directly as a parameter)+

------

After the LaunchService database has been rebuild, you should be good with ScreenSaverEngine (you can use an active corner to launch it immediately and check if the fix worked).

HTH

ScreenSaverEngine Error Message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.