7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2013 1:21 PM by daveyberg
Reuben Feffer Level 2 (205 points)
I have the bottom-left Active Screen Corner on my iMac to Start Screen Saver when I move the pointer into it.

The problem is, when I do that, an error message pops up saying:

You are opening the application "ScreenSaverEngine" for the first time. Are you sure you want to open this application? This application is in a folder named "Resources." To see the application in the Finder without opening it, click Show Application.

When I click Open nothing happens. When I click Open again, the error message goes again. But the screensaver never starts.

Anyone know what's going on?

Message was edited by: Reuben Feffer

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010), 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone 3GS (16GB), Apple TV (2nd generation)
  • Reuben Feffer Level 2 (205 points)
    Restarting my iMac solved the problem, for now. It's a weird error message to get though. Very Microsoft and not at all what I'd expect from Apple.
  • Juliadeer Level 1 (0 points)
    I am getting the exact same message it is really annoying I have no idea how to fix it....
  • Terry Wedd Level 1 (120 points)
    I just started getting this and the answer seem to be in the Permissions.

I simply did a get info and changed all Permissions to allow all to Read and Write.

Cheers,

Terry
  • iPhoto 09 sharing problem Level 1 (0 points)

This solved it for me (at least for now). Thanks, Terry!

• Reuben Feffer Level 2 (205 points)

When you say "all Permissions" what do you mean? All permissions for everything on your hard drive?

• toolshed51 Level 1 (0 points)

I've been annoyed by this bug for 2 years now,

When is Apple going to step up and fix this?

• daveyberg Level 1 (0 points)

I realize this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem and I found the following answer in an archived discussion.  The problem is, I am not quite sure how to use Terminal and I tried following the instructions but couldn't figure it out.  Any help out there?

This solved my questionRe: ScreenSaverEngine first time open alert

6 oct. 2009 13:53    (in response to Richard Collyer1

Got the same problem here.
    Seems I got rid of it by updating my LaunchServices database :

1) Open the Terminal, and log in with an admin account (by using su and/or sudo for example) if your current OSX account does not have admin privileges.

2) Go to the LaunchServices.framework' Support directory :
    *cd /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fra mework/Support*
    +(Note: in previous OSX versions, it was a subframework of ApplicationServices and not CoreServices, the path has changed since)+

3) Use the "lsregister" commande line tool found in this directory to do a rescan/rebuild of your LaunchServices database. You can e.g. update your whole database with this command :
    *./lsregister -r -apps local,system,user*
    +(Or you can specify the path to the ScreenSaverEngine.app itself directly as a parameter)+

------

After the LaunchService database has been rebuild, you should be good with ScreenSaverEngine (you can use an active corner to launch it immediately and check if the fix worked).

HTH