Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G4 AirPort card won't connect to WiFi

I have an iMac G4 flat panel. I just got an AirPort card today and put it in the Mac. I have a Netgear modem. Not sure what version, but the AirPort card won't connect to the internet. When i go to Internet Connect and type in the password and stuff for my network it gives me this error: "There was an error joining the AirPort Network 'wireless account name'. The internet connects to all the other computers in my house, including an iBook G4 with an AirPort Extreme card in it. I just don't understand why it's not connecting to mine. Can anyone help?!

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Flat panel PowerPC iMac G4

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 2:10 PM

Hello, Whilst I can't be sure this is the reason, one possible cause is that the Original Airport doesn't support all the latest encryption. I found I had to drop my WiFi router's encryption from WPA2 to WPA when I started using an old Powerbook G4 again.

Try it with the encryption off for a moment and confirm the iMac G4 works like that before enabling an older encryption type (WPA-PSK).

regards

mrtotes

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2011 2:10 PM in response to jcpennygex

Hello, Whilst I can't be sure this is the reason, one possible cause is that the Original Airport doesn't support all the latest encryption. I found I had to drop my WiFi router's encryption from WPA2 to WPA when I started using an old Powerbook G4 again.

Try it with the encryption off for a moment and confirm the iMac G4 works like that before enabling an older encryption type (WPA-PSK).

regards

mrtotes

iMac G4 AirPort card won't connect to WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.