Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone error 1013 host file solution does not work!

iPhone 3gs, not jailbroken or unlocked. I've restored on 6 different computers, i tried editing the host file in many different ways that people have suggested. Still nothing. Nothing pulls it out of recovery either. I'm beginning to think error 1013 also means hardware cuz absolutely NOTHING is working. I've also checked my firewall settings and all is fine because i can restore my iphone 3g to 4.2.1 no problem on ALL computers that have given me 1013 error. Any ideas before i throw this at a brick wall? And no i dont have warranty so apple cant help me out.

Windows Vista

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 5:20 PM

16 replies

Mar 28, 2011 1:14 PM in response to Griff1220

Well, another case of hurting the good, while trying to go after the bad. What the issue is apparently Apple put in a check point feature around version 4.2.1 that checks for users who are redirecting their connections to gs.appl.com. If the itunes process suspects this, your phone firmware management process stays in recovery mode. You get error 1013 which says you have a hardware error and list numerous hardware related things for you to check. So my iphone sat on my dresser for two months under the belief that I had a hard ware issue. Well the fact of the matter is that there was nothing wrong with my phone. Apparently there are users who jail brake their iphone to run other apps, and for those users, they have an entry in their hosts file that redirects gs.apple.com to a website that is set up to assists jail break users. all this not endorsed by apple. The checkpoint feature that apple put in to detect this uses a timer and waits for a response between your system and gs.apple.com. If the timer threashold elapses, an assumption is made that you are redirecting your gs.apple.com connection, and are a jail break user. Your phone gets put into recovery mode. Problem with this is that there are ligitimet users who have host files that are ligitemt and does not redirect their connections to gs.apple.com. In my case I use a 60,000 line hosts file to redirect adware, malware, and other vulnabilary type sites. The lenth of time for my PC to search thru this file exceeds the threashold period involved in the checkpoint process, and even though the gs.apple.com entry does not appear in my hosts file, an assumption was made that I was a redirection of gs.apple.com user, and my phone was put into recovery mode. to fix my problem I tempoaryily used the default hosts file of
##
Host Database
#
localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
I have no reason to prevent my system from talking to gs.apple.com. It just takes a little longer to do so. There are thousands of iphone users right now who have iphones locked into recovery mode, probably because they are on a slow internet connection and their threashold is being exceeded. These folks are innocent victims of of the pursuit of the jail break users. Apple needs to figure out another way to do this with out impacting loyal customers. Apple. shame on you.

Apr 20, 2011 11:27 AM in response to speakerfritz

Thought you folks would like to know that I finally fixed my iphone recovery mode 1013 error. I learned that their are two gs.apple.com servers. I found out which server I was connecting to and decided to try the other server. I added the below entry in my hosts files. I did a recovery and it worked. NOW, what on earth is going on with apple gs.apple.com server 17.112.176.11? gs.apple.com 17.151.36.30 worked for me. Keep in mind, my phone is a normal stock phone with only apple store apps. my phone is not gail broken and I do not use tiny umbrella or related utilities.Problems began with the release prior to the current one.

##

# Host Database

#

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.

##

127.0.0.1 localhost

255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

17.151.36.30 gs.apple.com

# 17.112.176.11 gs.apple.com

Apr 26, 2011 7:53 PM in response to speakerfritz

Can you please explain to me how you are doing this? I don't understand how to add entries in the host file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Phone says in recovery - must restore and then gets error code 1013. At least 7 times so far this evening. Tried different computer, changed USB, updated softwares, etc. Nothing has worked.

Jun 11, 2011 12:48 PM in response to annettefromcollege station

I like many in this post have the same issue. My iPhone has not been jailbroken and says I need to restore error 1013. I actually went to the Apple Sotre in Cardiff and they simply tried restoring the phone (I knew what would happen) and they simply said that it was a hardware issue and that I need a new phone.

My host file didn't have the apple server in it originally!

I'll try from the above the thread and see if it works, would save me buying a new iphone!!

Jun 12, 2011 3:35 AM in response to speakerfritz

Hi,

I have similar problems and lost in the meantime (after trying several times to restore) all my old data (sms-text messages and other history data from my phone). Now my iPhone is again working on iOS 4.1 (it was working previously working on iOS 4.3.2).

I have a question: WHERE can i find the so called 'host file' and moreover HOW can I adjust this file?

Many thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
Marco

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jun 12, 2011 12:57 PM in response to marco538

You had the same problem and restored with OS version 4.1??

The host file is located in the C:/ drive in your Windows file, in System32 folder, Drivers folder, then etc folder, then host folder. To open the file you need to open Wordpad then open the file.

so located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

To alter the file simply delete or edit the particular name you wish

iPhone error 1013 host file solution does not work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.