Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active Directory: Offline user

Hi all,

I have been slowly integrating Mac into a windows domain environment and joining them to Active Directory. (2008 Domain)

I have read some white-papers but keep finding conflicting information between 10.5.x and 10.6.x.

I have joined this 13" MBP to the domain, and logged on with a 'Network User'. Everything works as I wanted it, smb shares, printers etc. (I wont be using home drives for now)

But off the network (at home) this user is unavailable (disappears). I have created a local user with the same username and linked it to the existing home folder, but I dont know if this is the right thing to do?

All I really want is AD integration for is pre-authenticated file-sharing and printing support. Only one user will use this machine, so I was hoping to use the same logon account on domain and off domain.

Or do I link a local account to a networked account?

Cheers

Matt

MBP 13", 15", iMac 27", HP 67010b, 6550b, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Everything Windows and OS X

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 11:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 4:23 AM

G'day Matt,

This is fairly straightforward. You are after a "mobile user account". If you open Directory Utility, then type "mobile user" into the Help search box, you will get step by step instructions.

Cheers,

Rodney
3 replies

Active Directory: Offline user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.