Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the CDMA based iPhone 4 work globally?

Hello There!

Factory unlocked GSM based iPhones which are available to buy from some Europeon countries and Dubia are unlocked and usable to any mobile phone carrier. Will this new CDMA iPhone work internationally or will be locked to Verizon only?

Thanks,

iPhone 4, 32GB, Black, iOS 4, MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz 15" 4GB, IPad 16GB WiFi

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 12:15 AM

16 replies

Feb 6, 2011 7:14 AM in response to SebNazary

More than likely the new CDMA iPhone to be released for Verizon's network in the U.S. next week is carrier locked with Verizon. It can be used internationally via international roaming rates, but switching to another CDMA carrier with a CDMA phone is not as easy as switching to another carrier with an unlocked GSM phone by simply changing SIM cards. A CDMA phone does not have a SIM card. Verizon activates CDMA phones sold for Verizon's network over the air with the phone. I formally did some work for a company that used Verizon. I didn't prefer the company provided phone they wanted to give me and I had an old no longer activated CDMA phone I used with Verizon for personal use before switching to AT&T. I had Verizon re-activate my personal Verizon CDMA phone with the company's line/number instead, which was done over the air after the company had to approve this with Verizon.

Feb 6, 2011 10:12 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Some how, my edit didn't make it in. Yes, the iPhone sold by Verizon will be locked to Verizon's network. It's what's called a subsidy lock. Because the phones are subsidized, the carrier doesn't want people buying them at the subsidized price and then selling them to people who would take them to another country or carrier thus depriving them of revenue.

Back in the early days of digital cellular service, it was possible to move phones between Verizon and Sprint, the other major CDMA carrier. No more...

Will the CDMA based iPhone 4 work globally?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.