Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule dropping wireless connection on only one of my computers

I have several laptops and 2 iphones connected to the wireless network on my Time Capsule. I recently changed the name of the wireless connection to match the name of the Time Capsule. All computers working fine and connected except for my MacBook Pro ...

It connects sometimes and then drops the connection, or, asks for the password and then the connection times out. I have:

1. Reset the Time Capsule to factory settings and set it all up again with the new Network and Time Capsule name
2. Re connected all computers using new network name, time capsule name for back ups etc.

Same thing .. all computers reconnect with no problems except the one Pro ..

I deleted all the keychain in system and local on the pro that had the old and or new names. Rebooted the pro, re booted the Time Capsule ... all computers connect except the pro ..

I can connect with the ethernet no problem, but it won't get past the password request when trying to connect using wireless.

I am able to connect to all other wireless networks (at office, others in building etc) so I know it's not my Pro Airport .... just when trying to connect to the one Time Capsule that I changed the name of.

Then from time to time, it will accept the password, creates a new keychain entry, but then sometimes tells me it has a self assigned IP ... I check the settings, everything is on Auto DHCP, nothing changed there ... again, it connects to all other wireless networks. Then sometimes it drops the self assigned IP message and connects to the network, even letting me see Time Capsule through Airport Utilities, but no internet connection .. (all other computers connected ok and full internet)

Is there a preference file somewhere or keychain entry that could be corrupted? I have gone through all the keychains and networks in networks preferences to delete and retry ...

I am in a cycle of dead ends ...

Some ideas?

Mark

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 8:47 AM

Welcome to the discussions, Mark!

According to your post, the Time Capsule is providing the same wireless signal to all and is working fine. You have a MacBook Pro problem, not a Time Capsule problem.

For that reason, you should also post in the MacBook Pro Forum.

You are probably down to the point where you need to consider re-installing the operating system on your Mac. But, it would be wise to check with the gurus in the MacBook Pro Forum before you do this as they may be able to help you figure out whether you have a hardware problem (wireless card, loose internal antenna connector), or a software (Mac OS) issue.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2011 8:47 AM in response to Mark Biech

Welcome to the discussions, Mark!

According to your post, the Time Capsule is providing the same wireless signal to all and is working fine. You have a MacBook Pro problem, not a Time Capsule problem.

For that reason, you should also post in the MacBook Pro Forum.

You are probably down to the point where you need to consider re-installing the operating system on your Mac. But, it would be wise to check with the gurus in the MacBook Pro Forum before you do this as they may be able to help you figure out whether you have a hardware problem (wireless card, loose internal antenna connector), or a software (Mac OS) issue.

Feb 7, 2011 10:52 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hey there ... I put this post on the MacBook Pro section and see that there are 65 views, but no replies ... I am wondering if there is another spot to put this? ... I am thinking about reinstalling as you suggest, but am wondering if this the problem lies in preferences or keychain, wouldn't that just stay the same even with a reinstall?

In the meantime, what do you think about deleting the local Time Capsule plist? Will that muck up anything?

Mark

Feb 7, 2011 1:29 PM in response to Mark Biech

I am wondering if there is another spot to put this?

You could try a post in the forum for your operating system.

but am wondering if this the problem lies in preferences or keychain, wouldn't that just stay the same even with a reinstall?

Not if either one happened to be corrupted now.

In the meantime, what do you think about deleting the local Time Capsule plist?

I'm aware of a plist for Time Machine, but not the Time Capsule, so can't help there.

Feb 10, 2011 6:42 AM in response to Mark Biech

Well ... I reinstalled Snow Leopard .. did the upgrade download again ... renamed the Time Capsule, re named the Wireless connection, deleted all passwords from keychain ... nothing works ... this laptop will connect for about 5 minutes if I have NO password on the Wireless Network but then drop the connection. If I put on a password, the connection times out and I can't get on at all ... this all being said, no matter what I do, all the other computers smile and connect no problem .... ahhhhhhhh User uploaded file

No response from the other post .... bummer .... Mark

Mar 9, 2011 12:07 PM in response to Mark Biech

Okay... so I found your thread when I encountered this problem, and looked for a fix. This is what I did.
Model: Newest TimeCapsule 2T / MacBook Pro 15" 2008 Unibody.
Fix: in TimeCapsule's Airport Utility setup make a DHCP reservation for the MBP using the ethernet address of its Airport Card.
Now we have a STATIC IP for this machine on the network.
On the MBP side: Make a new "LOCATION" that is ONLY used for connecting to THIS network. That is, don't use the "automatic" network location, and if you ever need to go somewhere else and use the internet, make sure to switch BACK to automatic. (YES THIS IS A PAIN!) So I recommend duplicating this location once it's set up so you always have a backup, b/c you may forget to switch it some time when you go away from the home and use a foreign network (or one you regularly use...). It's a lot easier to just go back into Locations and duplicate your backup once you get home instead of typing all the #'s in again.
Onward:
Type all the TCP/IP info in manually: the IP that you've reserved for the MBP, the subnet of 255.255.255.0. The IP of your TimeCapsule as the Router. And don't forget to input BOTH DNS servers.
You seem pretty savvy so I assume you know where to put all of this information:
select your network, go to airport, hit advanced...

If I'm at all unclear let me know, I'll certainly get back to you.

Time Capsule dropping wireless connection on only one of my computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.