Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed windows 7 on macbook but im having a few problems...

I decided to install windows on my macbook since i want to play games and it is restricted in macbook...

So i installed windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, but i can't open the games i installed because of some directx problem, it literally says that i should install directx 9 which is required for the game. The problem is that i have directx 11 which is up to date and as far as i'm concerned if i have directx 11 i also have directx 9.

I googled the situation and saw that it might be related with some kind of "driver problem". It says that i need to update some of my drivers or something.

Im not an expert about these kind of stuff so i would really appreciate it if someone helped me!
I really tried hard to find a solution but i think i lack of some info, and i can't go any forward, so please help me out!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 1:25 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2011 1:35 PM in response to Michek

1 That's a Windows problem, not a Mac problem. You might get better help on a Windows forum.

2 You might have been better served to have installed Win7 64 than 32.

3 If the game wants DirectX 9 and won't work with DirectX 11, it might be a good idea to contact the game's vendor. Also, you might try downloading DirectX 9 from sites such as <http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html>. (Note: download Windows drivers at your own risk. I have not downloaded anything from that site. I do not have any connection to that site other than knowing that it allegedly has DirectX 9 available for download. Use at your own risk. I'd back up before installing, but YMMV.)

Which game is this? What are the system requirements? Hint: some games which run in WinXP will NOT run in Vista or Win7. What are the hardware requirements?

Feb 6, 2011 1:39 PM in response to Charles Dyer

I tried downloading directx 9 but it won't work, at least from where i tried...

The game is rome total war, its a pretty old game may be that is the reason why it won't work on win7, i guess..
The requirements are not high at least i don't think that my hardware properties are not sufficient.
I have been told that win7 64 bit might slow my computer down more than 32, so thats why i choosed 32, what is the difference anyway ?

Feb 6, 2011 1:46 PM in response to Michek

You'll need to contact the game vendor. I suspect that it checks specifically for DirectX 9 and will not care if you have something better. The game vendor might have a patch which changes this, if the game is still supported.

Note that 64-bit Windows can access more RAM than 32-bit. Win 7 32 can see a theoretical maximum of 4 GB RAM; in reality it's about 3.5 GB, so if you've got 4 GB installed you're not using 512 MB or so of it if you have Win 7 32 (or any other 32-bit Windows version.) 64-bit OSes can see 16 EB RAM, far more than will fit into any machine on the market, so you'll be able to access all the RAM you paid for.

Installed windows 7 on macbook but im having a few problems...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.